Reload this Page >

The Telegraph: The curse of the 'Gap Yah' traveller

The Telegraph: The curse of the 'Gap Yah' traveller

Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
One infuriating aspect of cheap travel - self-entitlement

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/p...hould-ashamed/

"Take a walk down Khao San Road in Bangkok and you’ll see people lining the streets asking for money. Only they’re not homeless locals struggling to feed their families; they’re gap yah backpackers who spent their week’s budget on too many drinks in the hostel bar #fail #YOLO.

There has been a recent rise in ‘begpackers’ - that’s backpackers who are begging - across some of the poorest countries in the world. Their attempts to fund their trips via begging, busking and occasionally selling their holiday photos have been snapped and shared on social media by more socially aware travellers - and disgusted locals."

I know this lower budget style of travel doesn't apply to the vast majority of people here, but what grinds my gears is the sheer shameless ignorance and arrogance these people display. Based on experience in different groups/forums, those who criticise such people are often met with disgust and disdain. Absolutely unreal.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ilcannone
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/p...hould-ashamed/

"Take a walk down Khao San Road in Bangkok and you’ll see people lining the streets asking for money. Only they’re not homeless locals struggling to feed their families; they’re gap yah backpackers who spent their week’s budget on too many drinks in the hostel bar #fail #YOLO.

There has been a recent rise in ‘begpackers’ - that’s backpackers who are begging - across some of the poorest countries in the world. Their attempts to fund their trips via begging, busking and occasionally selling their holiday photos have been snapped and shared on social media by more socially aware travellers - and disgusted locals."

I know this lower budget style of travel doesn't apply to the vast majority of people here, but what grinds my gears is the sheer shameless ignorance and arrogance these people display. Based on experience in different groups/forums, those who criticise such people are often met with disgust and disdain. Absolutely unreal.
Begging - bad. Just don't.
Busking - well depends on the talent. It's a matter of aesthetics.
Selling photos to other tourists - don't see the issue.
Unless what your objecting to is the setting. Are we overlaying this with concerns about economic assymetry?
Is busking in London or Rome an ethical issue? Or is it that the noise is objectionable? What if it's an Italian busker?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by rickg523
Begging - bad. Just don't.
Busking - well depends on the talent. It's a matter of aesthetics.
Selling photos to other tourists - don't see the issue.
Unless what your objecting to is the setting. Are we overlaying this with concerns about economic assymetry?
Is busking in London or Rome an ethical issue? Or is it that the noise is objectionable? What if it's an Italian busker?
Busking is one thing that bugs me as a trained musician, 99% of them are just lousy! But then I'm a music snob anyway.

Besides, you've REALLY missed the point of this article - the point is that people from 'well-off nations' e.g. America, UK, etc, believe it is appropriate to essentially ask locals, quite often in less prosperous nations, who are most likely struggling to survive themselves, to essentially fund their CHOSEN journey and see no issue with that. Why should ANYONE ever expect someone else to fund something which is a HUGE luxury for the majority?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Busking is one thing that bugs me as a trained musician, 99% of them are just lousy! But then I'm a music snob anyway.

Besides, you've REALLY missed the point of this article - the point is that people from 'well-off nations' e.g. America, UK, etc, believe it is appropriate to essentially ask locals, quite often in less prosperous nations, who are most likely struggling to survive themselves, to essentially fund their CHOSEN journey and see no issue with that. Why should ANYONE ever expect someone else to fund something which is a HUGE luxury for the majority?
Well, no I got that. That's what "economic asymmetry" means.
Begging from locals is a no go. Always.
IME, that used to get you vagged in Asia. (No not me. But I helped buy someone out once). I'm surprised it's tolerated now.
Begging directly from countrymen abroad is something that's been done for years. Think Fred Dobbs (played by Humphrey Bogart) in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" asking John Huston (three different times iirc)
Say, mister. Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?
Of course, just as Huston's response reflects, it's an annoyance and doesn't require a particularly civil response.
[I know it's a movie, but I also know it reflects a reality]
As for busking, I think we agree. It's essentially an aesthetic issue because bad music is just bad. And good music is good even in a Tube station or a park.
Selling photos? Surely, unless the photos are extraordinary, local people aren't interested in those.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

societal issue rather than travel issue

working in violation of visa will get people in trouble, but these days obeying the law is just for uncool people

never underestimate buying / donating , some of them buy from / donate to each other

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.