Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

The Telegraph: The curse of the 'Gap Yah' traveller

The Telegraph: The curse of the 'Gap Yah' traveller

Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:39 am

here in Indonesia, we have news stories about that once in a while. that annoys me, really. our regular rural people here mostly living on the edge of their budget. traveling might be a luxury for them.

good on them though being kind and caring, but in a way I feel they are used and exploited by irresponsible behaviour of these kind of backpacker.

I know how tough it is to travel on tight budget, how nice it is to receive help and kindness from locals, but I'll say to myself: if you're run out of money, get a work or go home.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When the Amazing Race first started, one of the things that annoyed me about the show was that when they'd run out of money some of the teams would beg for funds, in these poorer countries - just so they could win $1,000,000.00. Thankfully that's no longer allowed.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: DL,EK
Wow. I have backpacked through nearly 100 countries and have never considered for a nanosecond begging on the streets of Bangkok or Kigali. I have stayed in $6 hotels and eaten street food. I still travel that way sometimes. But begging for travel money in dirt-poor countries?? These kids are entitled brats.
Paella747, wrp96 and DragonSoul like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Er...all of them, I would say. By definition, if they are travelling across continents and not working for a year, they are not poor.

I had never heard the term "begpacking" before, but it's a good term. That is exactly what it is. Begging. I could use other terms too. "Scrounging", "sponging", "bludging" and "bumming" are just a few that spring to mind.

The whole online "crowdfunding" (read: techno-begging) trend is testament to a growing sense of entitlement in the so-called "developed world" and "begpacking" is exactly the same.

So many people seem to believe that they are genuinely entitled to something for nothing. The thought that they should actually earn and save the money themselves never even crosses their minds.

These people often state that travel "broadens the mind" or "helps their personal development". These ends would be far better achieved by getting off their lazy behinds and waiting tables or pulling pints for a couple of years to build up some savings, before they flounce off to whatever "mind expanding" university course tickles their fancy.

Sorry for the rant, but this whole "gimme" culture gets my hackles up.
Agreed. And don't even get me started on the crowdfunding stuff! There are some great, legitimate charitable causes using crowdfunding successfully, but then there is also an awful lot of pure vapid, selfish garbage posted on those sites.

I guess the mindset isn't limited to privileged backpackers, either. There are fake/scam beggars in many places around the world - some even part of an organized scam group. It's sad and pathetic, in any case, when there are others who legitimately need help.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

I suppose I understand if someone was stupid and ran out of money and couldn't eat. I would expect them to feel shame too. But to intentionally do this from the outset is tacky and stupid. Imagine being busted for vagrancy and ending up in a 2nd or 3rd world jail. It may not seem so romantic then.

If you are going to back pack around the world, BUDGET for it. Buy the return flight when you buy the outbound flight. That way you will not be stuck, can demonstrate to local immigration that you are actually a visitor and not an illegal immigrant, and you will have your exit strategy covered.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It reminds me of this tweet, except the tweet was sarcasm / satire.

84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Who gives money to these people?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by EricH
Who gives money to these people?
Obviously somebody does, or they wouldn't keep doing it.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Obviously somebody does, or they wouldn't keep doing it.
Sure, but I really want to know what might drive someone to see these people as something other than worthless turds?
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EricH
Sure, but I really want to know what might drive someone to see these people as something other than worthless turds?
Can't help you on that one.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB lifetime Gold, BW Diam Sel
Well, these "begpackers" do serve one useful purpose: they give the rest of us a perfect opportunity to self-righteously rant about them, to point at them and say "don't be like them!"
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:34 am
Suspended

I wonder if "bumpackers" might be a better word?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:59 pm

Entitled snowflakes
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I wonder if "bumpackers" might be a better word?
That could have a slightly different connotation though!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
That could have a slightly different connotation though!
Er...I hadn't thought of that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.