Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

CNN: Anthony Bourdain dead at 61.

CNN: Anthony Bourdain dead at 61.

Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Unhappy CNN: Anthony Bourdain dead at 61.

He was an inspiration for many of my travels....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an..._medium=social

"CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series. His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning."
youranut likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:23 am

RIP to an incredible talent. His wanderlust definitely helped fuel my own, and his endearing cynicism elevated the show above and beyond all of the competition. It will be interesting to see what Eric has to say, since he knew Bourdain much more than any of us could ever hope to. His first season Las Vegas episode of No Reservations episode was an homage to Hunter S Thompson, another tormented writer who took things into his own hands. Such a sad paradox that the most miserable people tend to be the most entertaining, despite their suffering.

I just hope someone can pick up the torch and inspire a new generation of people to discover the world before everything falls apart. As Twain said:
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime"
Paella747 and youranut like this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In life he seemed to live quite the adventure, and his approach to travel and culutrual engagement seemed genuinely well-intentioned . And yet I sort of guessed it would be a death by suicide when I first heard he had died.

May he Rest In Peace.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by downinit
RIP to an incredible talent. His wanderlust definitely helped fuel my own, and his endearing cynicism elevated the show above and beyond all of the competition. It will be interesting to see what Eric has to say, since he knew Bourdain much more than any of us could ever hope to. His first season Las Vegas episode of No Reservations episode was an homage to Hunter S Thompson, another tormented writer who took things into his own hands. Such a sad paradox that the most miserable people tend to be the most entertaining, despite their suffering.

I just hope someone can pick up the torch and inspire a new generation of people to discover the world before everything falls apart. As Twain said:
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime"
I have serious doubts that travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness of sorts; and FT has repeatedly demonstrated that those doubts are well-founded. Anthony Bourdain seems to have been a decent example of how travel can be fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, but his example has plenty of counter-examples around even in this day and age.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have serious doubts that travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness of sorts; and FT has repeatedly demonstrated that those doubts are well-founded. Anthony Bourdain seems to have been a decent example of how travel can be fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, but his example has plenty of counter-examples around even in this day and age.
I feel like it's more likely for international travel and maybe not for domestic travel. Not to mention that business travel (which a lot of FT seems to do) tends not to leave enough time to have the necessary cultural experiences to break through that prejudice.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bourdain apparently lived in Europe early in his career. That's very different from being a tourist. I think he worked in a restaurant in les Halles.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
I feel like it's more likely for international travel and maybe not for domestic travel. Not to mention that business travel (which a lot of FT seems to do) tends not to leave enough time to have the necessary cultural experiences to break through that prejudice.
I doubt more than ever that international travel works like that, even for those doing non-business international travel.
Some of the most bigoted talking heads on TV and circuits for fundraising/lectures and even various social media forums (FT included) have traveled internationally for non-business travel too and even lived in more than one country. And even in the era before frequent travel by air, it wasnít so different in this regard.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I doubt more than ever that international travel works like that, even for those doing non-business international travel.
Some of the most bigoted talking heads on TV and circuits for fundraising/lectures and even various social media forums (FT included) have traveled internationally for non-business travel too and even lived in more than one country. And even in the era before frequent travel by air, it wasnít so different in this regard.
Sounds like I should be glad I don't hang out in OMNI.

But yeah, maybe it depends on the person more than anything?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Bourdain apparently lived in Europe early in his career. That's very different from being a tourist. I think he worked in a restaurant in les Halles.
Indeed he even worked in Paris/France.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I always found Parts Unknown to be cathartic. Therapeutic, if you will.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Bourdain was a staunch defender of his girlfriend Asia Argento in the #metoo movement. I wonder if the new revelation that she paid off an underage 17 year old boy, and former actor who played her son, earlier this year for keeping nude photos off the market, played a factor in Bourdainís suicide.

Iím still so sad to have him gone. Some deaths like Robin Williams, still seem so senseless even years after they happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.