Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

BBC: Tourism's carbon impact 3 times larger than previous estimates

Old May 8, 2018, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.

BBC News: A new study says global tourism accounts for 8% of carbon emissions, around three times greater than previous estimates.

Previous estimates of the impact suggested that tourism accounted for 2.5-3% of emissions.

The new assessment takes into account both the direct carbon footprint of travel, but also adds in "an analysis of the energy needed to support the tourism system, including all the food, beverage, infrastructure construction and maintenance as well as the retail services that tourists enjoy."

While I can see the value change in assessment methodology, I do wonder if they have not now overestimated the impact. After all, things like retail, food and infrastructure are shared with the local population, and there would be a reduction in a tourist's carbon footprint back in their home country during the time they were away.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wouldn't call Cyprus a "small island destination".
Old May 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
When I saw the headline start with "BBC" I didn't even bother to look at the article.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:28 pm

Thank you for sharing it !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.