Wiki Posts
Search

Financial Times: 18 hours, five movies, 9,000 miles. Welcome to ultra-long-haul

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
Financial Times: 18 hours, five movies, 9,000 miles. Welcome to ultra-long-haul

Shortly before the beef arrives on my fold-out tray, I’m working out how to position my feet. My left leg is swinging over the carpet of a Boeing 777. But what seemed like a triumph at check-in — an emergency exit window seat — looks less smart now as my right foot is squashed against the life raft. I can wedge my toes under it, through a draught excluder, but it’s freezing there. I gain an extra inch by twisting my hips. I check the map on my screen. Time to destination: 17 hours.

I am on the longest flight in the world: Qatar Airways flight 921 from Auckland to Doha covers 9,000 miles and crosses nine time zones. I will sit in seat 22K, with its impotent headrest, for 18 hours and 21 minutes (actual flying time: 17 hours 33 minutes). As well as the beef, I will eat the chicken, the “all-day chicken sausage roll”, a snack box and at least three cubes of spongy mousse. I will watch five films. And I will spend hours willing the moving map to move faster.
https://www.ft.com/content/b069e7c4-...e-cc62a39d57a0

If direct link doesn't work, try connecting thru here:

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 22, 2018 at 10:50 pm Reason: Made clear the text is a quote from the article

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.