Wiki Posts
Search

New York Times: Airports Are Losing Money as Ride-Hailing Services Grow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
New York Times: Airports Are Losing Money as Ride-Hailing Services Grow

For many air travelers, getting to and from the airport has long been part of the whole miserable experience. Do they drive and park in some distant lot? Take mass transit or a taxi? Deal with a rental car?

Ride-hailing services like Uber and Lyft are quickly changing those calculations. That has meant a bit less angst for travelers.

But that’s not the case for airports. Travelers’ changing habits, in fact, have begun to shake the airports’ financial underpinnings.

Fewer people are parking cars at airports, using taxis or renting cars, according to a
recent report from the National Academies Press.

Those trend lines are hurting airports, which depend on fees from parking lots, rental car companies and taxis as their biggest source of revenue other than the fees paid by the airlines. The money they currently collect from ride-hailing services do not compensate for the lower revenues from the other sources.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/b...-services.html

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 15, 2017 at 7:39 am Reason: Made it clear that posted text is a quote from the article
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The airports got greedy in ways. That worked better for the airports when internet penetration level were low and smartphone use wasn't so ubiquitous. It doesn't take genius to figure out that an Uber to an off-airport car rental will save on rental car costs, that Uber/Lyft can help toward reducing transport and parking costs, and that maybe a car rental isn't even necessary for trips like it used to be.

Also, given that the airlines have been hitting up customers for baggage fees, money that used to go toward using airport shops/restaurants and other airport-located facilities is increasingly sucked up by the airlines rather than by (non-airline) rental/retail venues.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's not an easy time to be in the industry, is it?

Yes, some airports have got greedy, but they also get squeezed. Majors get intense competition from LCCs, who between them put the pressure on different airports to squeeze the fees down to an absolute minimum. The airports costs rise, just as the airlines' do, so the only ways to make it back are through retail, rent and parking. Be thankful if you don't have the horrendous "exit-through-the-gift-shop" retail maze immediately after security that is now the norm at LCC-dominated UK regional airports, or the £3+ fee just to drop someone off at the terminal, or the artificial restriction of security officers in the main section so you can sell £5+ premium security.

In the last few years, airports here have had to negotiate with airlines to allow a carrier bag of shopping bought in the airport to be carried on board...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
When ORD charges $40/day for parking in the main garage, I don't exactly have sympathy. The result is entirely foreseeable.
MDFFlyer and dj_jay_smith like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by jaymar01
airports, which depend on fees from parking lots, rental car companies and taxis as their biggest source of revenue
I believe the NYT is not 100% correct. Retail shopping space is the #1 revenue source for most airports from what I have read. Here in YYC taxis/black cars/etc pay a one time fee for each drop or pickup to the airport authority, as does Uber I'd imagine. Don't know how Uber costs them money, as the fee is the same.

Watched the Smithsonian Channel a couple of days ago and they had a documentary series called Airport X-Ray. The episode I caught was about airport retail operations in FRA.............very interesting indeed, especially the bit about how much of the airport's revenue comes from retail.

Last edited by KDS777; Dec 19, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by javabytes
When ORD charges $40/day for parking in the main garage, I don't exactly have sympathy. The result is entirely foreseeable.
Your comment made me go and see what it costs to use the main (short term) garage at BNA. It's only $23/day.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
But I bet they find another way to recover those fees.

Increase other fees or increase fees used by Uber and Lyft.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Your comment made me go and see what it costs to use the main (short term) garage at BNA. It's only $23/day.
It ranges from $35-40/day for valet parking at SAN all the way to $13/day for the lot next to the Rental Car Center (5-10 minute shuttle ride depending on terminal and traffic). I admit that I've done the latter for short trips before when I couldn't find a friend to drive me to the airport; Uber is around $20-25 one way from where I live, so it doesn't make sense unless the trip is longer than a week or so.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by KDS777
Here in YYC taxis/black cars/etc pay a one time fee for each drop or pickup to the airport authority, as does Uber I'd imagine. Don't know how Uber costs them money, as the fee is the same.
The answer is that not every Uber passenger is a former taxi passenger: When Uber comes to town, they can many more passengers than the taxis lose. That is, Uber expands the entire market for that type of transportation. To the extent that more people shift to taxis/Uber and away from parking their own cars in the terminal, airport revenue goes down.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS777
I believe the NYT is not 100% correct. Retail shopping space is the #1 revenue source for most airports from what I have read.

Watched the Smithsonian Channel a couple of days ago and they had a documentary series called Airport X-Ray. The episode I caught was about airport retail operations in FRA.............very interesting indeed, especially the bit about how much of the airport's revenue comes from retail.
and revenue for airport owned is increasing, and revenue from leases to others. airports could also offer (themselves, or expensive lease) expensive VIP/VVIP services to commercial passengers. this has been approved in the US, with the launch of an international arrivals / departures capable VVIP terminal at LAX. not sure if DL's paid service ever offered international expediting / terminal. IIRC AA was working on expediting at some airports but not guaranteed yet.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Agree completely. Uber has now made the equation of whether or not to park at the terminal for 3-4 day trips more simple. Airports took travelers for granted and must now re-jig their operations to find inventive ways to deliver better, more value-added services.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by stut
.......... Be thankful if you don't have the horrendous "exit-through-the-gift-shop" retail maze immediately after security that is now the norm at LCC-dominated UK regional airports, or the £3+ fee just to drop someone off at the terminal, or the artificial restriction of security officers in the main section so you can sell £5+ premium security....
Or charging for clear plastic bags to take liquids through. 3 for £1 I think at Luton airport.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
The answer is that not every Uber passenger is a former taxi passenger: When Uber comes to town, they can many more passengers than the taxis lose. That is, Uber expands the entire market for that type of transportation. To the extent that more people shift to taxis/Uber and away from parking their own cars in the terminal, airport revenue goes down.
Certainly in Pakistan I just used Uber for a £2 ride from the airport. Previously I used to call someone over. For security reasons I never used a taxi.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by jahason
Or charging for clear plastic bags to take liquids through. 3 for £1 I think at Luton airport.
That's odd. At STN, LHR, LCY, and LGW (IIRC) you can have as many free plastic bags as you want.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
That's odd. At STN, LHR, LCY, and LGW (IIRC) you can have as many free plastic bags as you want.
Not sure about STN but plastic bags are free at LHR, LCY and LGW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.