Reload this Page >

Quartz: Your plane could fly itself by 2025…if you’re cool with that

Quartz: Your plane could fly itself by 2025…if you’re cool with that

Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Can a computer do what Sully did?
Originally Posted by jaysona
What do you think the computers on the A320 did? The computers flew the aircraft. For Airbus aircraft, the human just puts in inputs, the computers decide what to do with those inputs.

The only thing a human did that the current generation of flight computers can not do is press the ditch switch.
I wasn't aware that currently-available flight computers can respond to an unexpected loss of all engines during climbout, select the best available landing option, and execute the ditching.

I think all of that is doable but I think the odds of such a system being certified any time in the foreseeable future are about zero.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:49 pm

Those of us old enough to remember "Popular Mechanics" magazine will take all this with a very large grain of salt. Technology enthusiasts have ALWAYS said "in ten years" or "just around the corner" for this sort of thing...and those predictions are NEVER realised....

BTW Popular Mechanics... where is my flying car and personal submarine? you PROMISED!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.