thelocal.fr: American tourists tear gassed and robbed at Paris airport hotel

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

American tourists tear gassed and robbed at Paris airport hotel

A group of Americans were among 19 tourists who were robbed by masked men armed with tear gas as they waited outside their hotel at Charles-de-Gaulle airport to the north of Paris.

The robbery took place outside the Novotel Hotel at Paris Charles-de-Gaulle airport on Saturday morning.

The thieves, hooded and dressed in black pulled up in several cars as the 19 tourists, who included four Americans, 12 French and three Moroccans were waiting for a shuttle bus to arrive.
Please see:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170710/par...-airport-hotel

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:30 am

Why the emphasis on American tourists?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:59 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
Why the emphasis on American tourists?
The newspaper headline says "France's news in English". Perhaps they think those reading the paper would include Americans, thus the focus to get folks to read the article. This is pure conjecture on my part.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The newspaper headline says "France's news in English". Perhaps they think those reading the paper would include Americans, thus the focus to get folks to read the article. This is pure conjecture on my part.
Probably mentioned Americans because they were the biggest group of native-English-speaking tourists robbed in this incident, and that company focuses on marketing to English-speaking audiences. Saying 12 French tourists and some others got mugged at a CDG hotel probably doesn't do a whole lot of click-bait good for the company like playing up to the native-English-speaking audience. This company isn't a newspaper. It's just an internet site whose business model is to regurgitate news from other sources (including mainly local foreign language news sources) and get it put up with some modification so as to not run afoul of copyright restrictions.

I've stayed at this hotel before -- as an Accor Platinum on a Priceline NYOP stay IIRC -- and it was ok. Couldn't say it struck me as anything that extraordinary in terms of an airport hotel. Would I avoid it because of this incident? Not really, as this could happen at other airport hotels with open horse shoe like driveways close to a relatively high speed road.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
this could happen at other airport hotels with open horse shoe like driveways close to a relatively high speed road.
IIRC at luxury hotels in paris where vespa/etc rider grabbed luggage

paris has various incidents, mostly very targeted on very wealthiest

(when talking these big things, not individual street theft/mugging)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
IIRC at luxury hotels in paris where vespa/etc rider grabbed luggage

paris has various incidents, mostly very targeted on very wealthiest

(when talking these big things, not individual street theft/mugging)
Indeed. And it's often the Asian tourist groups that seem to be ripe targets for gangs of thieves, as even the suitcases often get fenced as rather valuable goods even if the contents aren't.

The gangs aren't all stupid in preferring to target passengers likely to be leaving Europe rather than those arriving into Europe when it comes to wanting to grab suitcases even more than open-carry purses and wallets in clothing pockets. But this incident seemed to have caught a less lucrative target than usual. Assuming the vehicle used will likely be claimed as stolen/unaccounted for at the time of incident, it will be interesting to see if the French police catch all the culprits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.