CN Traveler: Why Travel May Be the Secret to a Longer Life

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery

Why Travel May Be the Secret to a Longer Life

Just ask this 86-year-old who has been to over 87 countries—and shows no signs of stopping.

When 86-year-old June Scott is asked where she’s based, she responds: “This morning or in travel?”

Considering she’s visited all seven continents and over 87 countries, it’s a fair question. The Oak Brook, Illinois-based traveler just returned home from Palestine and Israel; before that, she was in Cuba; and in December, she slept in a pop-up tent in the world’s largest sand desert, the Arabian Peninsula’s Empty Quarter—often considered one of the least explored places on Earth. Last August? She and her family hiked sand dunes over 900 feet high, flew over the Skeleton Coast in a tiny plane, and kayaked with seals in Namibia.
Please see:

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/why-...E4MTU2MTMwOQS2

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
It's a lovely article about an interesting lady, but the premise that "travelling extends life" does annoy me. It's a sample group of 1 person (statistically insignificant) who is probably in good health generally, otherwise she wouldn't travel so much, would she? More personal travel is associated with higher personal wealth, and that social group experiences better health anyway. She has even been selected for a medical study because she shows abnormally good mental health for someone her age.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by roberino
It's a lovely article about an interesting lady, but the premise that "travelling extends life" does annoy me. It's a sample group of 1 person (statistically insignificant) who is probably in good health generally, otherwise she wouldn't travel so much, would she? More personal travel is associated with higher personal wealth, and that social group experiences better health anyway. She has even been selected for a medical study because she shows abnormally good mental health for someone her age.
Exactly what I was thinking ^
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Yeah, people who have the money and free time to travel extensively are likely to be healthier than people who don't. What a surprise.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
So, no one thinks traveling "helps" you live longer?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Yeah, people who have the money and free time to travel extensively are likely to be healthier than people who don't. What a surprise.
Especially with a destination list as long as hers. You're going to be traveling somewhat rough to reach that many countries, that means she's at least in the past been in shape for such travel. I take a very dim view of almost all research about what behaviors are associated with aging as almost always they look like proxies for good health.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.