Wiki Posts
Search

The Sun UK: Why flight attendants prefer to work in economy over first class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA
The Sun UK: Why flight attendants prefer to work in economy over first class

The demands of 10 rich people can often be more exhausting than serving 100 regular passengers.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2917...usiness-class/
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:44 pm

Very true to life
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I once dated an FA who preferred working in F because it kept her busy.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Hardly surprising. Working the coach cabin, you have the opportunity to do one run through the cabin with beverages and pretzels, and then retire to the galley to play on your phone. One more pass through to collect the trash a bit later. Then that's it until it's time to land. I think it's misguided to categorically label First/Business Class fliers as "demanding" - a premium level of service is what has been sold, after all.

For example, Delta First Class is advertised as follows:
For amenities and superior service you won’t find just anywhere, choose First Class on your next Delta flight. You’ll enjoy personalized service from a dedicated flight attendant, Sky Priority® service throughout your journey and a thoughtful travel experience from start to finish.
Yes, I'm sure there are passengers who occasionally take it over the top. But flight attendants who hide behind "we're primarily here to ensure your safety" as an excuse to provide minimal service don't belong working a premium cabin.

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 22, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on the airlines where they do not have a ton of FAs in F?

and arent some economy classes insanely huge without lots of FAs?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
On my last long-haul trip in F, PVG (Shanghai Pudong for those who don't memorize all the airport codes) - ORD, there were three FAs and five passengers, most of whom spent several hours sleeping. I can assure you that they were not overworked, and that's not because their service was deficient in any way.

If the premise of this article were consistently true, we would not always see the purser (by whatever title), who can work whatever cabin he or she wants to, in F or occasionally J.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
on the airlines where they do not have a ton of FAs in F?

and arent some economy classes insanely huge without lots of FAs?
Regulations govern the minimum number of flight attendants that must be on board. In the US, it's one FA per 50 seats of capacity (without regard for the actual number of passengers on the plane). Whether to add more flight attendants, and where the flight attendants actually work, is up to the airlines.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by javabytes
Yes, I'm sure there are passengers who occasionally take it over the top. But flight attendants who hide behind "we're primarily here to ensure your safety" as an excuse to provide minimal service don't belong working a premium cabin.
So true. I never liked that line US Airways used to say in their announcements 'we're here primarily for your safety'. While true, it gives the impression that service is an after thought, so don't expect much.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I know several FAs who prefer working First or Business cabins, and at least one who prefers working the galley in those cabins.

OTOH, I know or have flown with others who prefer Coach, often on flights they can do one outbound and return and be done with the "day's work". One of those I flew with a few years ago was AA's No. 2 in seniority, so she could genuinely choose her work flights (but she preferred and worked First).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
This line is a classic “It honestly made me feel like a sky waitress.” Yep, understand your are there for our safety, yada, yada but at the end of the day, yep, the cabin crew are sky waiters and waitresses....
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

javabytes, US doesnt have giant economy like other regions
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
If I'd be an FA I'd prefer to work premium cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.