Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Harrison Ford Has an Incident With Passenger Plane at Airport

Harrison Ford Has an Incident With Passenger Plane at Airport

Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
FAA investigating incident involving Harrison Ford saying he misheard tower instructions

The air traffic controller at Hawthorne Municipal Airport in California had directed Ford to wait for a second plane before taxiing across the runway later telling him, “I told you before to hold short. You need to listen up.”

Ford apologized for the incident Friday, saying he misheard the instruction as “exactly the opposite,” according to the New York Times. The FAA has said it is probing the incident, although there was no danger of a collision, the paper reported.

“He immediately acknowledged the mistake and apologized to ATC for the error,” Ina Treciokas, a publicist for the “Blade Runner” star, told the New York Times. “The purpose of the flight was to maintain currency and proficiency in the aircraft. No one was injured and there was never any danger of a collision.”

The episode follows a number of other aviation incidents involving Ford.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
“The purpose of the flight was to maintain currency and proficiency in the aircraft.
Well that didn't work our very well. It may be time to give up that license.

Is there a recording of the instructions and readback? Did Ford read back the correct instructions and not follow them, or did ATC not notice that he read back the wrong instructions.

EDIT: Found it. He clearly read back "hold short at 25 at Hotel".

Then there's "“Can you hold short of runway 25, traffic on the runway.” and reply "crossing 25". It sounds to me as if he was starting to cross, ATC was trying to stop him, and he replied that he was continuing. I don't think ATC would have put out an extra "can you hold short..." if he was already holding.

Relevant part starts at 1:20, assuming he's call sign Hotel Uniform. (It's reported in previous stories that his plane is "Husky Eight-Niner Hotel Uniform" but some is garbled.Ignore the video - it's from previous incident(s) and can be confusing)

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 30, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.