Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Harrison Ford Has an Incident With Passenger Plane at Airport

Harrison Ford Has an Incident With Passenger Plane at Airport

Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
But Ford is revered as an excellent pilot in aviation circles. He was inducted as a Living Legend of Aviation.
That's nice but I wouldn't fly with him.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
He's 74 years old...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder what he pays annually for liability insurance?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Commercial yes, but private can fly as long as they have a 3rd class medical. (1st needed for passenger commercial and 2nd for cargo commercial)
The age 65 limit applies to part 121 operations only, there isnt an age limit on the certificate itself. There is nothing to prevent an airman from flying something like corporate after they retire from an airline. All they need to do is maintain their medical and pass checkrides.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Feb 15, 2017 at 11:29 am
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suspect he finds it affordable.

What's the FT record for the most forums discussing the same new item?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Somebody please take the flying machines away from Harrison Ford before he kills somebody. Let the damn wookiee fly the plane...
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
He has already had one previous accident. He is also in his mid 70's. It's time to hang it up.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I suspect he finds it affordable.
You begged my question.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
He's had at least 3 other "incidents" over the years too
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
He's 74 years old...
It's time to take grandpas key's....I mean wings.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Wonder what he pays annually for liability insurance?
From what I saw when I was in the aviation insurance industry, the insurance was by far the cheapest part of the aircraft ownership experience. Liability base rates were $1,000 per million.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GuyverII
74 years old. Aren't there age limits to flying?

mercy.
Fortunately, the limits are practical ones: pass your Class 3 medical, complete requirements to keep current, pass required flight checks. This is far better than some arbitrary age limit. But we have to know when to quit; even Gen. Chuck Yeager did.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Must be this week

Didn't seem to be a need to create a new thread for this (although I defer to the moderators), but seems to be the week for American aircraft (plane hits deer on take off in NC) so this thread it is.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/15...a-airport.html
Old Feb 15, 2017, 2:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks to the OMNI mods for moving the thread there to the Travel News, where there was an already extant thread -- so that all FT'ers can discuss, not just the OMNI-qualified. I have deleted some "meta" discussion of posts locales, moderator activities, etc.

Thanks,

cblaisd, Moderator, Travel News
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is a thread in existence in Travel News, so given the thread is more about Harrison Ford and the incident was not primarily about AA, we've moved the thread to Travel News for merger with the thread there. A trailing link has been left in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
He has already had one previous accident. He is also in his mid 70's. It's time to hang it up.
More than one. But he also flies a lot, and tends to fly aircraft that don't have the levels of redundancy that airliners have.

There was no pilot fault involved in his 2015 accident per the NTSB:

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:
A total loss of engine power during initial climb when the carburetor main metering jet became unseated, which led to an extremely rich fuel-to-air ratio. Contributing to the accident was the lack of adequate carburetor maintenance instructions. Contributing to the severity of the pilot's injuries was the improperly installed shoulder harness.
There was an incident back in June of 2000 where a gust of wind caused his Bonanza to depart the runway during a landing, but the damage was minor and no one was injured, and another back in 1999 where he was practicing emergency autorotations in a helicopter with a flight instructor and was apparently late in adding power to recover to a hover, causing the helicopter to land hard, hook its skid on a log and rollover. Pilot error, but both with Ford and with the instructor he presumably hired to help brush up his skills.

This latest one will have pilot fault though most likely. If I was going to guess, I'd suspect the American flight was at the hold line waiting to cross 20L and Ford thought it was covering up the runway number. Although the correct response to another aircraft on the runway is a go-around and getting clarification from ATC. He probably saw the runway to his right but thought it was 20R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.