Reload this Page >

RT: Europe gets its first modern Russian-made airliners

Old May 25, 2016, 5:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

United Aircraft Corporation says the first Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 (SSJ100) plane has been delivered to its inaugural European customer Irish airline CityJet.

Under the $1 billion contract, CityJet will lease 15 SSJ100 airplanes with an option for an additional 16 aircraft. The Irish airline will receive three aircraft in 2016, and the rest from 2017 onwards.
https://www.rt.com/business/344297-s...yjet-purchase/
Old May 27, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Well they are correct in that they are the first "modern" Russian aircraft.

I have to say given these aircraft's rather unfortunate history it has put me right off flying CityJet.

Sukhoi are only delivering 2 airframes a quarter so it's not exactly a jet they can afford to fund huge amounts of R&D for. Nor does it seem a jet that airlines want to buy. I wonder what sort of deal CityJet got?

It should be noted that RT is part of the Kremlin's propaganda machine and is not normally reliable.
Old May 29, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Worcester
I have to say given these aircraft's rather unfortunate history it has put me right off flying CityJet.
The Superjet specifically? The type has a history of two accidents, both attributed to pilot error.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
It should be noted that RT is part of the Kremlin's propaganda machine and is not normally reliable.
There are plenty of alternative media outlets that concur with the report of RT.

And with over 100 aircraft built in 5 1/2 years, a new Superjet rolls out every 3 weeks or so.

It's rather more alarming that of the 104 built aircrafts only 71 seem to be in active service. I'm curious why the other aircrafts don't fly as well. If they are grounded for technical reasons, that wouldn't bode well with the Superjet program.

As for Cityjet: They are now somewhat stuck with the Superjet until the aircraft gets the approval to fly in and out of LCY.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.