Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Fox News: Could airlines soon be required to let families fly together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Rep. Jerry Nadler (D - N.Y.) wants to add a special amendment to the FAA funding bill that is slated for a vote at the end of next month that he hopes will make travel a little easier on families. The idea is pretty simple: airlines would be required to seat families with children under 12 together when they fly on the same plane.

Without Nadler’s amendment, however, parents actually have no legal right to demand that they are allowed to sit next to their children.
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/0...-fly-together/
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:55 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A gentle preemptive moderatorly note:

From the forum's welcome thread:

One other note: sometimes travel stories are or can get intertwined with political discussions. While there is no "bright line" to point to, if your thoughts about a story are distinctly political, it would probably be better for your thread to go to OMNI/PR.
cblaisd, Moderator
Travel News
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:09 pm
Suspended

I'm okay with this but only if it's done at time of booking and seat choice. Example: Family of 4 wants to fly together. When they buy tickets, they need to view the seat map and pick 4 seats together. If they don't, or there aren't 4 seats together, then they shouldn't be able to fly together.

For airlines like Southwest without seat choice, the family of 4 should be required to buy early bird check-in which basically guarantees that they can sit together. If they choose not to purchase it, then they're just SOL.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Example: Family of 4 wants to fly together. When they buy tickets, they need to view the seat map and pick 4 seats together. If they don't, or there aren't 4 seats together, then they shouldn't be able to fly together.
I know with AA there may be plenty of seats together, but you may have to pay a seat surcharge to have them open up to you. If you want a free standard economy seat and don't have elite status, you may not be able to book adjoining seats and might only have middle seats open up for you.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd actually support this kind of legislation, as it would preempt a lot of confrontations and delays. Putting the onus on the airline is fine, but that also means the airlines will have to find a way to avoid angering non-family fliers who paid for and/or reserved specific seats.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
I'd actually support this kind of legislation, as it would preempt a lot of confrontations and delays. Putting the onus on the airline is fine, but that also means the airlines will have to find a way to avoid angering non-family fliers who paid for and/or reserved specific seats.
The problem is that many of the cases involve people who wouldn't pay for assigned seats.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The problem is that many of the cases involve people who wouldn't pay for assigned seats.
That's what I'm saying. If I've paid for an assigned seat, I don't expect to be dispossessed by a family.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
That's what I'm saying. If I've paid for an assigned seat, I don't expect to be dispossessed by a family.
As a parent and grandparent who has occasionally traveled with young children, I sympathize with those who are in this situation through no fault of their own, but if getting switched to a middle seat in the back and/or separated from my own spouse for an x-hour flight becomes mandated by legislation, I would add it to my list of laws that do more harm than good.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem is that carriers such as AA are selling as "premium" seats which are far from that, leaving very few seats for non-elites which can be assigned in advance. Conversely, there are all kinds of other reasons why people choose the seats they choose and those people should not be bumped because they are flying solo.

I also view there as being a difference between seating families together and seating a child of UM age next to one parent. If this is a safety & security thing, there is no need for a family of 6 to be seated together. It is sufficient that there is a responsible adult to care for the child in question.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I'm okay with this but only if it's done at time of booking and seat choice. Example: Family of 4 wants to fly together. When they buy tickets, they need to view the seat map and pick 4 seats together. If they don't, or there aren't 4 seats together, then they shouldn't be able to fly together...
That makes a lot of sense when people end up flying on the aircraft they booked their flights on. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why this doesn't always happen. Most of those reasons come up at the last minute. I can see some merit in putting legal pressure on an airline to deal with those situations much more proactively than the "tough, sit in those seats or don't fly" attitude we so often hear. In most cases, if airlines were required to rearrange others passengers to facilitate a family continuing to sit together after an equipment change or a cancelled flight, they'd be able to do that without inconveniencing anyone except their own staff.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:38 am

They might as well. Most times those families push their way over the top of others separating them due to their need to take care of their kids, grandma's break problems, etc.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
As a parent and grandparent who has occasionally traveled with young children, I sympathize with those who are in this situation through no fault of their own, but if getting switched to a middle seat in the back and/or separated from my own spouse for an x-hour flight becomes mandated by legislation, I would add it to my list of laws that do more harm than good.
I agree. That's why, in my original post, I wrote: "but that also means the airlines will have to find a way to avoid angering non-family fliers who paid for and/or reserved specific seats." I have no interest in inconveniencing myself for a flying family (unless they're traveling in an emergency). The simplest system would be to require families with young children to identify themselves as such when they book and then not allow ticketing if there aren't seats together, just as everyone else can't book an unavailable seat. In the event of irrops, the airlines would have to program their "seat re-assignment" software to keep families together. If they can't, they're DB'd along with everyone else. I've seen too many instances of families poaching seats and then whining, "But what am I supposed to do?"
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
How about requiring proximate seating of one parent per underage child?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
That makes a lot of sense when people end up flying on the aircraft they booked their flights on. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why this doesn't always happen. Most of those reasons come up at the last minute. I can see some merit in putting legal pressure on an airline to deal with those situations much more proactively than the "tough, sit in those seats or don't fly" attitude we so often hear. In most cases, if airlines were required to rearrange others passengers to facilitate a family continuing to sit together after an equipment change or a cancelled flight, they'd be able to do that without inconveniencing anyone except their own staff.
I see a simple way to handle this:

Make it illegal for an airline to split apart a family group with children (or any other group containing a caregiver.) There is no obligation to book them together but if they are booked together they have an obligation to preserve that in an IRROPS or plane change situation.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond + Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I see a simple way to handle this:

Make it illegal for an airline to split apart a family group with children (or any other group containing a caregiver.) There is no obligation to book them together but if they are booked together they have an obligation to preserve that in an IRROPS or plane change situation.
Nice idea, but it it might mean that the rebooked travel could be 2 weeks out if that's the soonest the minimum contiguous seating is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.