Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Telegraph: Airbus designs mezzanine to seat plane passengers on top of each other

Telegraph: Airbus designs mezzanine to seat plane passengers on top of each other

Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1M/1K/*G, OnePass, Hhonners Diamond, National Executive, Hertz President's Circle

airbus designs mezzanine to seat plane passengers on top of each other...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ach-other.html

That will be an interesting experience!

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 6, 2015 at 12:49 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This appears to mean that the passenger on the floor either has feet dangling a few inches from his nose, or a hard separator in the same place, cutting off all vision forward. Plus a ceiling a few inches above his head.

A lousy idea.

“Passenger cabins are therefore fitted with as many rows of passenger seats as possible, which are positioned with as little space between them as possible.”
If this is the goal, just have everyone lie flat and stacked on each other, like Japanese capsule hotels, only smaller.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:53 am

Yeah I don't know. We see so many of these proposed schemes. Some even are patented. Yet none of them ever seem to be implemented.

What I want to see is this: Carry-on lockers UNDER the seats instead of overhead. I'm not sure how this could be done in terms of structure/safety -- mounting blocks of seats on top of raised platforms with the bins within -- but it'd be more practical, and maybe safer too. I'm surprised more people aren't seriously injured or even killed by passengers dropping their overstuffed roll-aboards out of the existing bins. I love when you see a guy or woman one-handing a huge bag (some of them have metal corners), whipping it within inches of somebody's head.

PS
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GateHold
Yeah I don't know. We see so many of these proposed schemes. Some even are patented. Yet none of them ever seem to be implemented...
Lots of companies patent lots of things they come up with "just in case," with no plans to put them into practice. This is probably one of those.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I agree. No way any of these schemes would ever get past USA, EU, and other safety and construction regs.

But, Good Morning America has to have SOMETHING for Michael Strahan to report on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.