Search

Ask the Pilot: BA 777 in Vegas: How NOT to Evacuate a Burning Plane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I've seen the arguments of, "Oh shucks, people panic, give them a break."

Ok, no problem, besides, they've already come down the slides and if they were made to drop/get rid of the bags, it would slow down the process even more, right?

I would totally be in favor of using all those videos uploaded to the Interwebs to prosecute and penalize every single last person seen carrying a bag. Hopefully, their valuables were worth it.

And if someone had actually been seriously injured or killed, all those people should be held as jointly liable to the loss.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If you fronted up to evacuate with your big wheely bag, what should a flight attendant do at the top of the slide? Let you take your bag or throw it on to some empty seats out of the way? What are they told to do in an emergency.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Madone59
This is exactly how I feel. My carry on is always in the overhead, i'd never grab it and it's where I keep my laptop. But my backpack which always has medicine, passports and other critical stuff is always at my feet. I prefer window seats so the chances of me being at the front of any pack are extremely slim. By time the herd was moving I'd easily have my backpack on my back.

Did anyone else see the young lady with her shoes in hand? This is why we frequent fliers keep them on for take off and landing!
Could not open the video, but two thoughts come to mind

No high heels on the slide please. &

Some people may be able to run faster with shoes off ?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
If I was in a window seat, had to wait for the rest of the row to clear out, and my backpack (with meds and laptop) was at my feet, I'd probably put it on my back because it would add zero time to the overall process. Once it's on, it feels like part of me. I'm used to maneuvering in awkward places while wearing it.
Self justification for breaking the rules doesn't wash. In this case you're just as guilty as someone who went in the overhead and got out an oversized suitcase.

The rules are black and white. No room for any grey when lives are involved.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If you fronted up to evacuate with your big wheely bag, what should a flight attendant do at the top of the slide? Let you take your bag or throw it on to some empty seats out of the way? What are they told to do in an emergency.
Nothing stopping you being arrested later. I'm sure a few high profile jailings would make people think about how to get off a blazing plane

"Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres".
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by alanR
Nothing stopping you being arrested later. I'm sure a few high profile jailings would make people think about how to get off a blazing plane
Yeah, I'm sure the airlines would love that publicity.

"Passenger jailed for taking cancer medications with them when fleeting flaming plane"
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
You are never going to get 100% compliance in an emergency, but if there were more education backed up with the possibility of sanctions, (imaging the safety briefing stating "in the very unlikely event of an emergency evacuation, leave your seat and make your way towards the nearest emergency exit taking nothing with you, taking luggage with you is a Civil/Federal/etc offence and may lead to a fine or imprisonment").

The aim would be to reduce the number of people taking luggage with them which in turn would reduce the possibility of fatalities.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by docbert
Yeah, I'm sure the airlines would love that publicity.

"Passenger jailed for taking cancer medications with them when fleeting flaming plane"
It has to be led by the authorities rather than the airlines for this reason
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
What are the odds of getting your stuff stolen when the plane is on fire and you are evacuating in an emergency situation. Who wants to stop to rifle through a purse or two? Or a first responder there to save your life is going to go through your stuff to steal it after they have saved your life.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...259146451.html
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the odds of getting your stuff stolen when the plane is on fire and you are evacuating in an emergency situation. Who wants to stop to rifle through a purse or two? Or a first responder there to save your life is going to go through your stuff to steal it after they have saved your life.
Look at the last crash in the US. It happened.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:06 am

How about all luggage taken from the plane during evacuation is confiscated (and held for a year)?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by schwarm
How about all luggage taken from the plane during evacuation is confiscated (and held for a year)?
It sounds to me like a lot of people are trying to come up with schemes to prevent the taking of luggage; so after-the-fact punishments aren't going to help much.

A little more emphasis during the safety briefing might be about all that can be done.

And let's face it: The odds of you or I ever being in a situation where we have to make a decision about taking personal luggage with us in an evacuation are really, really, really small. @:-)

(I do like the idea of somehow locking all the overhead bins for takeoff and landing - would probably have to be some kind of electronic lock system added; weight would be a factor; but would also prevent the occasional opening and dumping of contents during rough takeoffs and landings.)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by schwarm
I'm no lawyer, so I won't comment on the legal twists and turns that may exist for any airline that tried this, but I couldn't imagine that going over very well.

(Any lawyers here wanna chime in? :P )
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many lives have ever actually been lost in aircraft evacuation incidents as a result of passengers carrying luggage out.

My thinking is the number is less than ten.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'd be interested in knowing exactly how many lives have ever actually been lost in aircraft evacuation incidents as a result of passengers carrying luggage out.

My thinking is the number is less than ten.
Interesting point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.