Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Airbus secures its biggest deal ever - IndiGo orders 250 A320neo family aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbus secures its biggest deal ever - IndiGo orders 250 A320neo family aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:15 am
Original Poster

IndiGo and Airbus announced earlier in the day that they finalized an order for 250 A320 family aircraft that is worth $26.5bn at list price.

The CNBC article focuses on how the Indian market for aircraft is growing. According to Kiran Rao, head of strategy and marketing at Airbus, said:
"India is probably the fourth-largest aircraft ordering market in the world over the next 20 years. When we first started India back in the 1990s, we were forecasting that India would have about 300 airplanes over 20 years. Today, the forecast in India is nearly 1,700 airplanes for the next 20 years."

"So it's a very big market and the success that Airbus has had in India over the last few years, puts us at 80 percent market share in one of the most important markets in the world today."
The article mentions that IndiGo will begin to receive the aircraft in 2018 and that deliveries will continue through 2026.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/17/airbu...th-indigo.html

-----

This deal was previously talked about in a Economic Times article in October 2014 when IndiGo first placed the order. This article is interesting because it briefly talks about IndiGo's fleet strategy and how "IndiGo has a fleet of 83 planes, managed by an efficient rotation strategy, selling old planes to lessors before taking delivery of new ones."

IndiGo currently has orders totaling 431 aircraft with Airbus. They are waiting for the last aircraft in their current order of 100 aircraft. They will then begin to receive aircraft from Airbus to fulfill a 180 aircraft order. Beginning in 2018, they are expected to begin delivery of their 250 aircraft order.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ia-airbus-a320
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And of course CNBC uses an A380 as the background for their video. Incredible that a media company that large can't find a single person who was able to track down a video of an A320neo.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
And of course CNBC uses an A380 as the background for their video. Incredible that a media company that large can't find a single person who was able to track down a video of an A320neo.
Especially considering they are owned by a company that makes jet engines (GE)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Originally opened the article in a new tab and had my sound off, so I didn't see or hear the autoplay video until now. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on CNBC's part that IndiGo will switch their order to 250 A380neo's if Airbus re-engines. At the very least, CNBC should use a two engine Airbus plane in their videos, rather than the four engine A380.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Especially considering they are owned by a company that makes jet engines (GE)
Not for over two years now. NBC Universal is now part of the cable TV conglomerate Comcast.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: DL
I don't know how well this will go for Airbus. It was just recently that a bunch of Indian FAA (not sure the right term) inspectors protested because the IFAA wanted them to be stationed at airports other than DEL! Intra-India flights are simply not properly inspected unless they go through DEL, and the last time I flew Intra-India, I was a bit alarmed by the aggressiveness of the pilots. India is a growing market, but they still have some growing pains to overcome (hopefully not that many). If I were Airbus, I'd be offering up some free inspection engineers to protect the brand.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by paul21
Indian FAA (not sure the right term)
That'll be the DGCA (Directorate General (of) Civil Aviation) then. As for the tale about inspections only taking place in DEL, afraid it's a rather large red herring. I'm sure DEL based inspectors with a sufficiently large axe to grind may portray things differently, but that's just politics. And the idea of Airbus posting, and paying for, inspectors. Well, no, beside it being a horribly bad business decision, regulations will ensure that's never going to fly anywhere, let alone India - the pinnacle of bureaucracy. CAM (continued airworthiness maintenance) is the sole responsibility of the AOC holder, not a supplier, contractor or anyone else. An AOC holder may sub-contract work, but they can never sub-contract responsibility.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Sorry, totally OT, I just saw your username on the front page of the forum and had a legitimate LOL moment in the office. Brilliant handle.

Carry on then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.