FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   LA Times: A fee to be the first to exit a plane? Many fliers are willing to pay it (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1698379-la-times-fee-first-exit-plane-many-fliers-willing-pay.html)

jaymar01 Jul 28, 2015 11:05 am

LA Times: A fee to be the first to exit a plane? Many fliers are willing to pay it

Charges for checked bags, entertainment, food and seats with extra legroom among other extras generated $38.1 billion for the world’s airlines in 2014, a 21% increase from the previous year, according to a report from IdeaWorks, a Wisconsin-based airline consulting firm.

But you can expect such revenue to continue to soar as airlines consider adopting even more fees.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...724-story.html

Madone59 Jul 28, 2015 1:00 pm

How on earth would they enforce that?

What if the person on the aisle didn't pay the fee but the couple in the middle and window seats did? Does the aisle passenger have to sit back down after letting the other people in the row out or does the couple who paid extra to deplane first need to climb over the aisle guy? Maybe aisle guy get's a discount because he was forced to stand up to accommodate other passengers BUT he has to swipe his CC before exiting the jet bridge :D

Loren Pechtel Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Yeah, how do you enforce it??

I'd like to see it, though--let the speed demons pay extra, I don't fight the crowds anyway, if I could save a bit off my fare for my normal behavior I would be happy.

Doc Savage Jul 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Aisle

SimonB77 Jul 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Are we talking about a flight to Gilligan's Isle?

In all seriousness, all these fees are way out of hand. I wouldn't pay a fee to get first off the plane. There is always that one person who will rudely knock you over or push their way to the front, no matter the circumstance.

Madone59 Jul 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 25186830)
Aisle

Yes, yes. My typo(s) aside this would be a crazy fee.

ft101 Jul 30, 2015 6:03 am

"Up front" seats are already available for a price on easyJet, for exactly this reason, so it's not new.

Not 100% enforceable, or without it's flaws, but it works most of the time.

DeafFlyer Jul 30, 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 25186052)
How on earth would they enforce that?

What if the person on the aisle didn't pay the fee but the couple in the middle and window seats did? Does the aisle passenger have to sit back down after letting the other people in the row out or does the couple who paid extra to deplane first need to climb over the aisle guy? Maybe aisle guy get's a discount because he was forced to stand up to accommodate other passengers BUT he has to swipe his CC before exiting the jet bridge :D

Ejection seats would work. A special door would have to be added to the fuselage, but it could work.

Doc Savage Jul 30, 2015 11:02 am

Fees which encourage bad behavior by the airlines should not be legal. In this case, it would incentivize the airlines to slow down the exit process in order to annoy passengers into paying the fee.

MSPeconomist Aug 3, 2015 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 25196424)
Fees which encourage bad behavior by the airlines should not be legal. In this case, it would incentivize the airlines to slow down the exit process in order to annoy passengers into paying the fee.

I doubt it. Airlines are more profitable if they can turn around aircraft fast, other things equal. I doubt that they would want to be forced to lengthen MCTs and change their schedules to align with this.