FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Florida considering law for service dogs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1664101-florida-considering-law-service-dogs.html)

The BNA Gentleman Mar 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Florida considering law for service dogs

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...2014_partners2

Does this mean that TSA will be legally allowed to challenge everyone that has a service dog, at least starting out in FL airports?

rbwpi Mar 17, 2015 3:53 pm

If someone is sentenced to 60 days for lying about having a disability and falsely claiming their pet is a service animal, can they take that pet to jail with them? :rolleyes::D

obscure2k Mar 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel News Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Jane42 Mar 17, 2015 4:18 pm

When people lie it just makes it more difficult for those that truly need their service animals with them and makes others skeptical.

safra1 Mar 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Not sure if TSA would be responsible for enforcing this given that it would be FL law.

teevee Mar 17, 2015 7:31 pm

there are now two classifications of animals: service animals and support animals, both of which airlines are required to allow on board free of charge and are permitted where "pets" are not.

service animals do just that--provide a service, such as seeing-eye, hearing, seizure etc.

support, or emotional support animals provide the "service" of being there. they are not required to be specially trained or be able to perform and physical tasks.

99.9% of the little mutts you see walking around with "SERVICE ANIMAL" vests on are ......... you can buy those vests online for a few bucks. true service animals are not required by law to wear vests. some may be real support animals, but these days, every moron that wants a dog to travel for free can have their doctor write a prescription for a support animal and voila!

ronin308 Mar 17, 2015 8:20 pm

The TSA isn't a law enforcement agency so they have no standing to challenge anyone about the issue. You'll find in all cases if the TSA discovers something illegal, they call the airport police over to perform actual law enforcement.

cmd320 Mar 18, 2015 7:31 am

I knew Florida could be good for something... :D

callum9999 Mar 18, 2015 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Jane42 (Post 24522776)
When people lie it just makes it more difficult for those that truly need their service animals with them and makes others skeptical.

No it doesn't, judgemental people make it more difficult. If you become more openly judgemental of service animal owners because you've heard about people bending the rules, that's purely on you. Of course it's going to make you more sceptical in your mind, but there's nothing forcing you to act upon it.

Loren Pechtel Mar 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by teevee (Post 24523587)
there are now two classifications of animals: service animals and support animals, both of which airlines are required to allow on board free of charge and are permitted where "pets" are not.

service animals do just that--provide a service, such as seeing-eye, hearing, seizure etc.

support, or emotional support animals provide the "service" of being there. they are not required to be specially trained or be able to perform and physical tasks.

99.9% of the little mutts you see walking around with "SERVICE ANIMAL" vests on are ......... you can buy those vests online for a few bucks. true service animals are not required by law to wear vests. some may be real support animals, but these days, every moron that wants a dog to travel for free can have their doctor write a prescription for a support animal and voila!

I don't mind if the "service" provided is being there--but I do mind if they aren't trained to service dog standards for their behavior in public.

relangford Mar 24, 2015 12:20 am

How would FL enforce this? Would they expect the airline to do this, at check-in? Would they post LEOs at the airport? Might there be a better use of LEOs than this?

RooseveltL Mar 24, 2015 12:05 pm

This is excellent.. Don't care if one cop is stationed at airport validating post checkin as it belittles owners who really have need for a service dog with entitled retiree wanting to fly with Fluffy.

hoob Mar 25, 2015 11:04 am

Originally Posted by teevee (Post 24523587)

I have worked with airlines where the policy disallows all non-service animals except for those complying with usual Pet In Cabin requirements (and some airlines don't even allow PETC.) Last I checked there was no such regulation, nor even a legal definition of what a support animal was.

Can you provide a citation of the definition of what a "support" animal is, as well as of the requirement that airlines must allow "support" animals on board? Thanks.

zitsky Mar 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999 (Post 24527197)
No it doesn't, judgemental people make it more difficult. If you become more openly judgemental of service animal owners because you've heard about people bending the rules, that's purely on you. Of course it's going to make you more sceptical in your mind, but there's nothing forcing you to act upon it.

So people are free to lie about their animals being a service animal and we shouldn't judge them for lying? I think we have every right to set standards. :rolleyes: