Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
NY Tmes: The Sorry State of In-flight Wi-Fi

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/st...av=bottom-well
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
The prices have continued to go much higher. Its funny because GOGO keeps sending surveys as to how good the service is. Many bloggers gush about GOGO but I know they get free online access cards to do so. Its as if GOGO thinks the service is faster than it is. That is what I feel from any interaction with them. You can do email and some browser tasks. You can't tab windows well and I attempted remote access to my office pc barely a few times. For the most part GOGO is stuck as they can't raise rates much higher. Also the stupidity of the following. If you buy monthly service it is locked o a carrier. Why can't you use it for Delta and American. That is a foolish limitation.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
GOGO Unlimited

Unlimited access on any partner airline, on any Gogo equipped flight operating between destinations within the United States, Canada and Mexico
$10/month more than Airline Unlimited.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:37 am
Company Representative - GogoAir

Originally Posted by robertw477
The prices have continued to go much higher. Its funny because GOGO keeps sending surveys as to how good the service is. Many bloggers gush about GOGO but I know they get free online access cards to do so. Its as if GOGO thinks the service is faster than it is. That is what I feel from any interaction with them. You can do email and some browser tasks. You can't tab windows well and I attempted remote access to my office pc barely a few times. For the most part GOGO is stuck as they can't raise rates much higher. Also the stupidity of the following. If you buy monthly service it is locked o a carrier. Why can't you use it for Delta and American. That is a foolish limitation.
Robert, thanks for the feedback - As a longtime member, I truly appreciate it when the Flyertalk community shares their thoughts on our service.

Couple of things; our pricing on the plane varies based of its duration, but if you buy before you fly, you get an all day pass for a flat $16. That price has been the same for several years now, and is often the best value for your money. Visit gogoair.com for the "BBYF" pass options.

While we do provide some bloggers with passes when we meet them, there is definitely nothing expected in return. We've also provided passes at consumer events like the recent Frequent Traveler University, Hackathons and even some charity events, of course we love seeing happy Bloggers, but we most certainly don't do this with the expectation of only seeing good reviews. In fact, I've been known to send our a pass or two in DM's here on FT

As for the monthly pass - we have airline specific passes, and a fleet wide pass. We know some customers are 100% loyal to a single airline, and for them, our traveler pass is a great option. For those who fly different airlines a lot, Gogo Unlimited is the best bet. If you do have the Gogo Traveler pass and find yourself on a different airline due to issues like cancellations, our care team is always available to help out and get you connected at gogo.to/chat. We're also on Twitter at @Gogo or Facebook.com/gogo. You can reach us 24/7.

We are always working very hard to develop new technology - our latest product is called 2Ku: http://concourse.gogoair.com/technol...-internet-work

Thanks again for the feedback and have a great weekend *-)-
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I've used Gogo from inception and have purchased a variety of passes over the years. Is the service as good as in the office or at home? No. But at least you get some level of connectivity.

My biggest complaint with Gogo is that customer service has evolved from excellent (friendly and understanding) to downright hostile at times in response to complaints and billing. Used to be easy to get credit for service failures. Now, I don't even waste my time.

And if I do buy a monthly pass and don't want it to renew it next month's if my travel is lighter, I need to cancel it right away since Gogo now requires you to cancel at least 48-72 hours in advance of the renew date or you will be billed for another month. Good luck about canceling too late. They will bill you for an extra cycle and not budge. Yeah, they might throw you a couple of courtesy passes but the last two they sent me were useless as they expired before the end of my billing cycle.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:55 am

I am a long time Go Go users paying for the monthly airline pass, mainly out of inertia. GoGo is a necessary evil. Some issues:

1) Often painfully slow, or intermittent. This is a major hindrance if your conmpany insists on connection through VPN.
2) Frequent disconnects on flights.
3) If you carry work and personal device, you can't connect both.

But as the only option I am stuck. I get the surveys but generally not worth the time as I have come to 'expect' the basic level of service.

Originally Posted by Gogo
Robert, thanks for the feedback - As a longtime member, I truly appreciate it when the Flyertalk community shares their thoughts on our service.

Couple of things; our pricing on the plane varies based of its duration, but if you buy before you fly, you get an all day pass for a flat $16. That price has been the same for several years now, and is often the best value for your money. Visit gogoair.com for the "BBYF" pass options.

While we do provide some bloggers with passes when we meet them, there is definitely nothing expected in return. We've also provided passes at consumer events like the recent Frequent Traveler University, Hackathons and even some charity events, of course we love seeing happy Bloggers, but we most certainly don't do this with the expectation of only seeing good reviews. In fact, I've been known to send our a pass or two in DM's here on FT

As for the monthly pass - we have airline specific passes, and a fleet wide pass. We know some customers are 100% loyal to a single airline, and for them, our traveler pass is a great option. For those who fly different airlines a lot, Gogo Unlimited is the best bet. If you do have the Gogo Traveler pass and find yourself on a different airline due to issues like cancellations, our care team is always available to help out and get you connected at gogo.to/chat. We're also on Twitter at @Gogo or Facebook.com/gogo. You can reach us 24/7.

We are always working very hard to develop new technology - our latest product is called 2Ku: http://concourse.gogoair.com/technol...-internet-work

Thanks again for the feedback and have a great weekend *-)-
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I would not pay for GOGO, it is too inconsistent. I've had it work well, but not often, so I basically gave up, not worth the trouble.

This is a shame, if it were good I would use it all the time.

Now apparently they help Delta administer the entertainment program; it worked the first time I used it but then stopped working. GOGO tried to help me to no avail. Now I've given up on that too!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Interesting-I have not e-mailed a complaint to Delta in years. This morning I sent a complaint about the new Entertainment system. About 50% of my flights, the gogo is not working in the past 2 months. Seems to be an issue on regional jets. I use to always rent movies on itunes but thought I would just use the new entertainment system offered on Delta. I am very annoyed when FA says they checked with pilot and gogo not working. Therefore, I guess i will be back to renting on itunes. Delta should hold gogo responsible for its service and Delta should also quit advertising the benefit until it is fixed.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by upsidedown
  • Painfully slow, or intermittent.
  • Frequent disconnects
  • can't connect [multiple devices]
Ditto x3 ^^^

I'll add a few more:
  • Lousy customer service if anything doesn't work
  • Doesn't work gate-to-gate (causing a dramatic reduction in usability for short flights).
  • Doesn't work on international flights, even when the plane is over land for long periods of time (e.g., SLC-CDG).
  • Should be free for DL elites (at least PM/DM)

Originally Posted by upsidedown
I get the surveys but generally not worth the time as I have come to 'expect' the basic level of service.
Switch that 'basic level' for 'lousy' and you've got it.

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
...so I basically gave up, not worth the trouble... ...if it were good I would use it all the time.
Bingo. I desperately need the time to work and get things done, but I can't rely on GOGO to work at all, much less work well. Working offline reduces efficiency and takes even more time to plan and prepare to work this way.

I'd gladly pay more for fast, reliable service. I don't pay them at all for the service they currently provide.

Compare GOGO to Southwest's in-flight WIFI for a 90-minute flight. SWA is free, works from the moment I step on the plane to the moment I get off, is mostly reliable, and is reasonably fast. GOGO is not free, only works above 10k feet, is mostly UNreliable, and isn't fast. Guess which airline I pick for <90-minute flights?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Admittedly I use it on occasion as well, but this "feature" is the most worrisome for me:

Gogo Inflight Internet is Intentionally Issuing Fake SSL Certificates
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blog...l-certificates
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I pay for Gogo routinely. What I've found is that short flights, especially when most people are sleeping, it works pretty well. What's frustrating is when everyone is using it, especially as those are often the flights that you most want to use it on (long ones during the day when you aren't tired). I do hope it gets better because a monthly pass is now $50. That's more than I pay for wifi for a month at home.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:41 pm

It better be worth every penny if you guys are using it when it is so slow and inconsistent.

Ofcourse you can always just tell ur bosses that it wasn't working and u couldn't work so u went to sleep....
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
I was going to buy it, but I tested first on Delta by streaming Frozen through my iPad. Frozen kept freezing so my wallet didn't move an inch.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:42 pm

I've used it a handful of times and have been disappointed every time. I won't be buying it in the future. I'll do without
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
This is what happens when you don't have competition, you can charge whatever price you want for mediocre service. Not much different from the host airlines themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.