Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
"Why Airlines Make You Suffer" - The New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/business/cu...cid=mod-latest
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Economy minus? Who in the name of God would buy a ticket in something called Economy MINUS??

Where's the tipping point/critical mass/end of the road/whatever you want to call it - where the greedy quest for fares and fees becomes the airlines shooting themselves in the foot (or wing, as it were)?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
New Yorker Magazine - Why Airlines Want to Make You Suffer

http://www.newyorker.com/business/cu...d-most-popular

..... Here’s the thing: in order for fees to work, there needs be something worth paying to avoid. That necessitates, at some level, a strategy that can be described as “calculated misery.” Basic service, without fees, must be sufficiently degraded in order to make people want to pay to escape it. And that’s where the suffering begins. .....
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The whole logic of the article fails. Let's say I charge $100 for something then I change based on competition pressure to charge only $80 but have a special fee for $20. Comes back to $100. The pressure to pay the $20 comes from the fact that I'm not providing that service as part of the $80. Well, yeah. That doesn't mean I'm deliberately making the service bad so that you will pay the extra $20. That means the public was stupid for demanding I remove that service to get the fare to $80.

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 27, 2014 at 9:49 pm Reason: Removed no longer needed link after thread mergers
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Well, realistically speaking it won't be called "Economy Minus" once the advertising folks get hold of it. I'd expect something more tactful like "Economy Basic" or "Economy Saver".
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL GE
I don't like reading articles from someone who doesn't fly often about how flying sucks because they are do not have status. The author mentions status in a negative connotation twice. I have status and I know how to board a plane much faster than someone who flies to FL once a year. Y seats don't really bug me.. that much.. sure my shoulders are much wider than the seats and I don't know how airlines account for that but that is besides the point. It is just transportation, don't like it, find an alternative.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I'm hoping that with gas prices lower people will stop flying so much and start driving, especially families. Until passengers start revolting, airlines will continue to treat passengers like crap.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the Travel News forum, where it will likely join the existing thread discussing this article. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.