Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

WSJ: The best day to buy airline tickets.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

The prime time to find airfares has changed. How early does the lowest price pop up? New data shows exactly what the best day to buy an airline ticket is.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-b...ets-1413999377
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Good article and stats, but it lacks refundable vs non-refundable fares. It also does not state which carries are included in the study. I would guess Allegiant, Sun Country, Frontier and Spirit are not included.

Overall good article. WSJ ^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Man, at this rate, universities should have entire departments dedicated to travel hacking to keep abreast of these developments.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Better article than most, but I would selfishly like to see more stats on business class international fares and upgrade space (which, anecdotally, seem to be a lot more volatile).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Conclusion is wrong. Very useful info though.

As it was showed in the article, the lowest price tickets happened to be
bought on Sundays because the cheapskates have sufficient time on Sundays to search for the cheapest possible tickets. While people don't have a lot of time on work days, so they didn't find best deals. For people
who don't have anything better to do regardless which day of week, it
might be better off buying tickets on Tuesday.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Leisure travelers buy $300 tix on Sunday and no business travelers buy $800 tix.

Business travelers buy $700 tix on Monday and no leisure travelers buy $200 tix.

Sunday = $300
Monday = $700

Sunday is best.

Bzzzzzt, thanks for playing, better luck next time.

Cr@ppy statistical analysis with false assumptions (pricing of sold tickets = pricing for all available tickets), IMHO.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Cr@ppy statistical analysis with false assumptions (pricing of sold tickets = pricing for all available tickets), IMHO.
True, but it's much tougher to obtain data on the prices of *available* tickets. But the prices of *sold* tickets are easily obtained because the historical transactions are saved in the server.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The best day to buy tickets was on 12/26/2013 on DL. I scored many great tips all in FC. I heard the programmer got the boot, so perhaps no luck this year.

Aloha.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ylord789
As it was showed in the article, the lowest price tickets happened to be
bought on Sundays because the cheapskates have sufficient time on Sundays to search for the cheapest possible tickets. While people don't have a lot of time on work days, so they didn't find best deals. For people
who don't have anything better to do regardless which day of week, it
might be better off buying tickets on Tuesday.
That's certainly a part of the problem. Another part of the problem is that business travelers, who generally buy higher fares, do NOT book on the weekends. So, I would expect lower fares to be booked on the weekends. They should have stratified by business vs. leisure travelers.

That said, one mitigating factor is that airlines run their revenue optimization algorithms over the weekend, which tends to open up seats on lower demand flights. For Tuesday and Wednesday flights, that's when the airlines tend to run sales/specials.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Leisure travelers buy $300 tix on Sunday and no business travelers buy $800 tix.

Business travelers buy $700 tix on Monday and no leisure travelers buy $200 tix.

Sunday = $300
Monday = $700

Sunday is best.

Bzzzzzt, thanks for playing, better luck next time.

BINGO!!!!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:52 pm

The only way to address this is to consider a random sample of representative itineraries. Then each day (say, one or even two years prior to the departure date), someone (or the computer) makes a price search on each one of those itineraries and records the available prices. As you can see, this is not simple to do.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by sonicking
Then each day (say, one or even two years prior to the departure date), someone (or the computer) makes a price search on each one of those itineraries and records the available prices.
Which systems allow you to book airline tickets 2 years prior to the departure date?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:22 am

I actually read somewhere that Tuesdays are the best day to buy tickets.
I've used this and saved hundreds of dollars in the past.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Looking back on which day I have made the best deals on international tickets, it's almost equal among them, at least during the last four years. Monday just slightly lower than the others.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:24 am

October is generally a very quiet month for sales in the travel industry, so there are great prices to be had there. I don't agree that there is a particular day of the week to get better fares however. Working In travel and viewing the behind the scenes reality of the industry, I would simply suggest getting to know you airline booking classes and 'on sale' periods. It's the travellers who know this that get the best prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.