Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Airbus 380 - problems and discontinuation" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Kremmen
It would be interesting to see some stats on that. The A380 is the only recent plane in my experience that ordinary economy travellers go out of their way to fly on, much like the 747 two decades ago. Some consumers definitely prefer the spacious cabin and quiet.
I have not heard of ordinary Y flyers going out of their way to fly the A380. Only of status FTers doing that, who do the same for the 787.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I have not heard of ordinary Y flyers going out of their way to fly the A380. Only of status FTers doing that, who do the same for the 787.
I've been flying with EK since before they had any A380s. There are definitely many people outside of FT who have chosen specific routes/flights simply to fly on one.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
I've been flying with EK since before they had any A380s. There are definitely many people outside of FT who have chosen specific routes/flights simply to fly on one.
I'm sure there are...but not nearly enough to warrant the aircraft for the masses or to warrant any airlines to purchase more, obviously.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:13 pm

Yeah, I doubt the number of people who are choosing to go on an A380 because of the plane type are a pretty small blip at best in the grand scheme of things. My guess is the average coach flyer wouldn't have a clue what type of plane they were flying on if you asked them.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by piper28
My guess is the average coach flyer wouldn't have a clue what type of plane they were flying on if you asked them.
My guess is that that would be true for any plane other than the 747 and A380. The A380 is not only easy to pick from any other plane, but has been heavily promoted by carriers using it. (NZ has heavily promoted its new Dreamliners too, such as by having half the front page of a Perth newspaper covered in an ad for them when the PER-AKL service launched. I'm not sure how many people will care/notice given it's just one route though.)
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:13 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Has no one mentioned 2 important considerations.

1. How many 747s are in operation the world over circa 1000-2000? all will need replacing in the next decade. Sure some will be downsided to 777 or A350. But if even a third are suitable for upscaling to A380s. There's your total break even for Airbus.

2. The last slot pair at Heathrow sold for 28million... If other operators can use bigger planes to reduced frequency to and from Heathrow as BA just did with LHR to LAX that's 28million to a business in cash... 10% off the outright cost of one of the panes... Or 20-30% considering most planes are leased.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:17 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by piper28
Yeah, I doubt the number of people who are choosing to go on an A380 because of the plane type are a pretty small blip at best in the grand scheme of things. My guess is the average coach flyer wouldn't have a clue what type of plane they were flying on if you asked them.
Not true in my experience...

BA's 777 and A380 leave Hong Kong within an hour of each other.... The A380 is always the more expensive ticket and the fuller plane in premium classes and that's with travel agents actively trying to book passangers on to the 777.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Must be a Co-incidence then that the fastest growing International Airline over the past 20 years...Emirates...Is also the biggest user of the A380.

Looking at Manchester the Number 2 UK city that BA virtually abandoned, Emirates is now its Number 1 Long Haul Airline.
Then it's also a co-incidence that this same fastest growing airline is also just about its only customer. The reason it works for them, that they have a super duper hub, is also the reason they have grown so quickly and the reason that it's been a bit of a dead end for carriers without a super hub.

I think that the A380s are working at the moment as Emirates connects a bunch of places that can't support individual connections. The US industry went through the same transition, but as flying increased the number of economic direct connections increased and the consumer preference for direct flights made itself felt. That's why there are no longer any 747 flights in the domestic US, except for special situations, and wide body flights are a rarity. I think that if the international aviation industry continues at its growth pace this same trend will make itself felt, and Emirates will find itself needing a very different inventory. This is constrained a bit by the international restrictions on direct flights by non flag carriers, but I imagine money will find a way.

It's feeling more and more like Boeing was right to drop out of the program that resulted in the A380.

Last edited by Boghopper; Dec 14, 2014 at 10:57 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by amt
Not true in my experience...

BA's 777 and A380 leave Hong Kong within an hour of each other.... The A380 is always the more expensive ticket and the fuller plane in premium classes and that's with travel agents actively trying to book passangers on to the 777.
Why in the world are TAs actively booking "passangers [sic]" on the 777?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Kremmen
My guess is that that would be true for any plane other than the 747 and A380. The A380 is not only easy to pick from any other plane, but has been heavily promoted by carriers using it. (NZ has heavily promoted its new Dreamliners too, such as by having half the front page of a Perth newspaper covered in an ad for them when the PER-AKL service launched. I'm not sure how many people will care/notice given it's just one route though.)
You may notice a difference when on board, but when booking a ticket online or over the phone, how are the average traveler supposed to know?
Even if the website shows the aircraft type, (not all do,) it doesn't mean the traveler will even know what that means. Heck, you even have some elite travelers that don't know the difference between a 757 and 767 - just that sometimes, their plane is 3-3 and others 2-3-2
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No 747 or A380 orders in 2014. Production could end in 2018 unless orders pick up.

Some still remain bullish:

Dubai-based Emirates has 55 A380s in service, plus orders for 85 more, and has been pushing Airbus to offer more efficient engines for the WhaleJet. Emirates CEO Tim Clark says that Airlines need the A380 because passenger traffic is expected to double in the next 10 years. Clark said, "If airlines don't believe they can fill an A380 then their business model is wrong. If they can't fill it there is something wrong with their marketing." Clark said Emirates would buy 140 A380neos if Airbus decides to build them. An A380-900 would hold 650 passengers in a standard multi-class configuration, while an all economy version could hold over 900 passengers. Nine. Hundred.
http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/world...-up-1669698240
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
If Airbus comes up with a more efficient engine for the A380 (actually, GE or Rolls Royce or ...), couldn't Boeing also use that engine on the B747-8i; thus extending the lifetime and production of both?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I can't imagine 900 passengers in a plane.

That might flip the price economics towards the passengers.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FLLDL
While the 747-8 is certainly a failure, the money invested is a pittance compared to what Airbus spent on the A380.

Keep in mind that part of the reason for the 747-8 to exist was to deny market share to the A380. Boeing knows the VLA market is small and even stealing a fairly modest number of orders from Airbus would justify the 747-8s existence. Even the very small numbers of 747-8 orders that KE, LH and CA have placed would have represented an additional year+ of production of the A380.
The 747-8 is a failure? 119 have been ordered (2 in 2014 and 17 in 2013). 80 have been delivered.

It is doing quite well as a freighter.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
The 747-8 is a failure? 119 have been ordered (2 in 2014 and 17 in 2013). 80 have been delivered.

It is doing quite well as a freighter.
It is a failure by just about any standard. Not a huge failure but a failure nonetheless.

The small order book you mention could be filled within a year. Instead since business is so bad, Boeing has continued to cut the production rate in order to stretch out the backlog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.