Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airbus patent application: Bicycle seats for airplanes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:58 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So if this does get approved, RyanAir would stop purchasing Boeing's?

How would the purchase of 2 seats work for oversized peeps on ryanair
I was simply responding to fairviewroad's comment. My point was that if it was approved, some airlines would probably use it. In my opinion, its not just an experiment in 'will someone publish this'? Also, I doubt it would be used on a flight longer than 2 hours.

Personally, I do not think this is a good idea, and would not use it, if it were offered.

I am well aware that Ryanair's preference for 737s. I would also agree with them, as a personal preference of airplanes. I believe, though, that if they could cram 30 more people into their planes, they would. If it was found to be possible, Boeing would replicate with a similar product, should the market deem it desirable.

Last edited by PLeblond; Jul 14, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by mduell
How the heck are they going to satisfy the 14 CFR 25.562 (b) requirements?
They won't. Airbus is a smart company. Current state of fly-by-wire might be improved to minimize and meet the in-flight limits.

The B1-B bomber as I recall flying fast at low altitude has quick adjustment of main wing lift as the small canard wings detect variation that would have previously overstressed the wings or at least stressed crew. That's almost instant correction at speed.

Something like that might do wonders for unexpected clean air turbulence.

Seat belt air bags would likely meet the ground contact minimums.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 14, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tireman77
It kind of looks like the 'standing' seat Ryanair looked into a few years ago.
Yeah, I'm surprised Airbus would apply for a patent with this kind of prior art.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
One can apply for a patent; getting a patent is a different matter. Also, patent laws in different countries can vary widely. The U.S. "first to discover" versus Europe's "first to apply" can lead to interesting differences. But, most nations still have the concept that, to be patentable, it has to be more than an extension of current devices or knowledge.

I am reminded of a Gilbert cartoon. Engineering problem: bicycle seats are uncomfortable. Engineering solution: wear dorky pants.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Airbus responded to some Tweets about its patent application with...

Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Or perhaps a fleshlight-like airplane seat? You know, for us guys?
!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.