Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
How Airlines Make Less Than $6 Per Passenger

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/03/tr...usiness&page=0
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:51 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Interesting perspective. Especially since these are better times for the industry.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
This is slightly misleading. Its really a volume issue. Low percentage margins work if you have high volume. Just ask all those companies pumping out cheap plastic knick nacks from China.

And is $6 per person really that bad? Put it in perspective, a family doctor seeing a normal volume of patients makes about $12 dollars a patient.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Something is a bit fishy with those numbers. If the average profit per passenger is $5.42, and the profit margin is 2.4%, that would mean the average revenue per passenger is around $220. Even if that is before taxes, that seems like accounting voodoo. I can't imagine ANY route where the fare plus fees is as low as $220 these days, much less having all the routes average that.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum Card, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cubfan99
Something is a bit fishy with those numbers. If the average profit per passenger is $5.42, and the profit margin is 2.4%, that would mean the average revenue per passenger is around $220. Even if that is before taxes, that seems like accounting voodoo. I can't imagine ANY route where the fare plus fees is as low as $220 these days, much less having all the routes average that.
If that figure takes into account multiple segments in one trip, it could be possible. Not sure how accurate the average fare prices are on Flight Aware, but $220 doesnt seem improbable.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:57 pm

If you look at it as a passenger on a one way trip for $220 that makes sense - $440 for a roundtrip ticket seems like an avereage fare. Especially if you add in all the reward tickets that = $0 of flight revenue
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I couldn't help but notice that there was no actual example given with real numbers to break it down. I guess we just have to trust the spin machine?

In the time of large corporations with billions of dollars of income paying zero taxes; CEO salaries reaching the sky; untold (and unknown) subsidies of corporations and Multi-billion dollar professional sports teams being non-profit organizations, call me skeptical.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Cargo, my friend. Cargo.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Cargo, my friend. Cargo.
Bingo! Including mail. I suspect some flights would go without passengers if the cargo load was enough. A little OT: Recently saw a entire pallet load of U.S. money being loaded on an international flight (to the U.S.). It had to be millions, if not billions. The bills were shrink-wrapped and not hidden by any opaque covering, so I assume they were old bills on their way back for destruction. Still, interesting sight.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
And Grocery Stores Claim 1.3% Margin

For years grocery stores have cited profit margins hovering around 1%, in this case 1.3%. http://www.marketplace.org/topics/bu...ghly-desirable Yet grocery stores seem somehow to stay in business.

Clearly figures lie and liars figure.

One possible interpretation of the weasel-words, it could be $5.42 average per passenger segment. So a non-stop round trip would be $10.84 and a round trip with a change of planes would be $21.68.

And as another writer already wrote, if they are loading all their cost onto the ticket sales, the freight is then 100% profit.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pdsales
Clearly figures lie and liars figure.
Why? Having spent time in the industry, I can assure you those numbers are directionally correct.

A low margin on very high volume will yield sufficient profit to stay in business. Investors get paid in cash, not in percentages.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
If you tell me there's a business out there where I can average $5.42 profit per customer and I will have 100 million customer a year. I think that business is a slam dunk.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caimaster
If you tell me there's a business out there where I can average $5.42 profit per customer and I will have 100 million customer a year. I think that business is a slam dunk.
First I would ask what level of investment it took.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
First I would ask what level of investment it took.
And how much economic value that business has destroyed over the past three decades.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: kayaker
I also suspect that these numbers are for each way (if not each segment), for the sake of normalization. But even if not, remember that they are talking across the worldwide industry as a whole. Here in Europe, leisure flights are rarely more than $250 (my leisure flights average less than half that), including a very high proportion of taxes and fees. I'm sure other regions such as intra-China help to deflate the numbers as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.