Reload this Page >

The Surprising Spending Habits of People Stuck in Airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Surprising Spending Habits of People Stuck in Airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:08 am

When I had a 3 hour layover in JFK before going to ORD after flying from Dublin a few years ago, I wanted something decent to eat as the airplane food leaves a lot to be desired. Most of the fast food places charged around $8 to $9 pre tax for a value meal, I did not even want to see the prices for a sit down type place. I know prices are higher in NYC, but even I paid $6 for a decent breakfast in Manhattan not far from 5th Avenue compared to the airport price.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
{Geek warning:} The article said that $5.15 is the median amount spent, not the average. For everyone who spent more than $5.15 (no matter how much more) there was someone who spent less than $5.15 (including those who spent nothing).

Example: if there were three passengers, one spent nothing, one spent $5.15 and the third spent $6.01, the average is $3.72 but the median is $5.15. If the third passenger spent $100 instead, the average goes up to $35.05 but the median is still $5.15. {/Geek warning} As you were.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mikew99
Don't know and don't care. I always assume that the super-high prices are due to the typical airport price gouging.
+1. I don't really care what their cost structure is: a Subway sandwich is still only worth about five bucks to me. That's why fast-food is the last thing I'll eat in an airport - it's where the gouging seems the worst, based on my value of the food.

But yeah, I see those lines at ORD McD's as well. I guess some people love that stuff, leaving me to move along to the more midrange type restaurants that only nudge their prices up a small percentage from street prices.

I also see the ads about retail goods being "high street prices" at the airport. I assume they get away with saying that because they charge the MSRP for their goods. For example, a camera that debuted at $699 is now for sale for $699 in the airport, just like it was at a Best Buy on the day it was released, even if now it's readily available all over the Internet for under $500. The airport didn't take it and mark it up to $800, so they can advertise that.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
{Geek warning:} The article said that $5.15 is the median amount spent, not the average. For everyone who spent more than $5.15 (no matter how much more) there was someone who spent less than $5.15 (including those who spent nothing).

Example: if there were three passengers, one spent nothing, one spent $5.15 and the third spent $6.01, the average is $3.72 but the median is $5.15. If the third passenger spent $100 instead, the average goes up to $35.05 but the median is still $5.15. {/Geek warning} As you were.
And to really nerd out, the mode is almost certainly $0.

My initial reaction to the article wasn't so much mean vs. median - it's my assumption (since it was not stated) that they didn't throw out the $0's. If you just took the people who had enough time to actually spend *some* money, I think both the median and mean would be far higher than five bucks.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Baracuda618
It seems that we are in the minority here. If we do have a layover of 2 hours or more, I'd rather get a meal at a "sit down" restaurant than snack on the plane. Eating on a plane doesn't sit well with me (and the food is pretty horrible). We also like to have cocktails before a flight even though they are expensive. Of course, we are flying strictly for vacation so we're in a pretty good mood and not heading to a meeting. Someone also asked "who uses the seafood and champagne bars?... we have also done that - caviar and vodka bars, raw oyster bars, etc. I roll that into the price of our vacation and it's rather fun. It's better than sitting like lump in the airport waiting for the flight. Of course, on a really long layover we will use the appropriate lounge and relax.
^ I would always chose sitting and eating in a nice place, good food, and ambiance versus eating on the plane. First class service, with first class food, on a first class airline is an obvious exception. I see know reason to default to crappy food, service, or ambiance while traveling. If on business, the boss is subsidizing me to eat well. On vacation, I eat well. Not rocket science.

If the airport doesn't get my business, it's because they are providing a lousy service or unreasonable price. Most likely the former.

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

Originally Posted by pinniped
And to really nerd out, the mode is almost certainly $0. My initial reaction to the article wasn't so much mean vs. median - it's my assumption (since it was not stated) that they didn't throw out the $0's. If you just took the people who had enough time to actually spend *some* money, I think both the median and mean would be far higher than five bucks.
The study is garbage w/o standard deviation.

Median and Mode are the two dumbest measures of anything IN THIS CASE. The most meaningful data would be "the percentage that purchase ___, ___, or ___ and, most importantly WHY" and the "average spend for those that are purchasing ___, ___, or ___ and WHY." Filtering out the people with too little time to spend and those that get free stuff in a lounge would provide much more useful information, IMHO.

Last edited by ScatterX; Feb 2, 2014 at 6:53 am Reason: fixed quotes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.