Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Boeing: Number of Commercial Aircraft to Double by 2032 As New Routes and Markets Are

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing: Number of Commercial Aircraft to Double by 2032 As New Routes and Markets Are

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Compelling figures coming from Boeing on the eve of the Dubai show.

What I found most interesting (and which made me wonder when I reviewed this with our asst. editor) is the regional jet figure decrease: given the fact that Boeing's not in this space, it may have to be taken with a grain of salt but then again, that's the case for all forecasts.

Boeing: Number of Commercial Aircraft to Double by 2032 As New Routes and Markets Are Launched

The airline industry will grow at the rate of 5% per year over the next 20 years, as airlines across the globe continue to open new routes and markets, according to a forecast released by aircraft manufacturer Boeing.

Passenger traffic in 2012 rose 5.3% year-over-year and Boeing believes that world passenger traffic will grow at the rate of 5% annually through 2032….

<SNIP>
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:37 am

To be pendantic, 5% annual growth for 20 years results in 2.65 times the original, not twice.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by acunningham
To be pendantic, 5% annual growth for 20 years results in 2.65 times the original, not twice.
To be even more pedantic, the 5% increase figure is passenger numbers and the doubling figure is aircraft numbers. Particularly if regional jets are replaced with bigger aircraft, a 2.65x increase in passengers could easily be accommodated on double the number of aircraft!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
To be even more pedantic, the 5% increase figure is passenger numbers and the doubling figure is aircraft numbers. Particularly if regional jets are replaced with bigger aircraft, a 2.65x increase in passengers could easily be accommodated on double the number of aircraft!
Good point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.