Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

I grew up in the airline industry — my dad was on the finance team at American Airlines — and took my first flight when I was 18 months old. There’s a cute certificate with a stork and an airplane to prove it.

But lately, there’s been a lot of grumbling about whether babies belong in first class, or in sections of airplanes where business travelers are most likely to sit.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelin...m-first-class/

Didn't realize there were some carriers that had child-free zones. Don't think I'd pay the $18 extra that one carrier charges for that zone unless it was something over 10 hours and across an ocean.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

class ban is only MH, only F, which is only on A380, and only 8 seats. but what age? this article from when it happened two years ago quotes CEO of MH saying "older than 2 yrs old is ok" - http://www.phdinparenting.com/blog/2...-baby-ban.html which seems to be confirmed by this - "An infant or baby is a passenger who has not reached his or her second birthday" - http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/au/e...r/infants.html but im not seeing it on some of the other website pages

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Exclamation

Moderator's note to all:

This topic has come up many, many, many times. It tends to be tediously tiresome, ends up with personal attacks, and with a thread lock.

Let's try not to recapitulate history..... Thoughtful, civil, respectful comments are welcome.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tom911
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelin...m-first-class/

Didn't realize there were some carriers that had child-free zones. Don't think I'd pay the $18 extra that one carrier charges for that zone unless it was something over 10 hours and across an ocean.
Not only that, but some sort of soundproofing between the zones, as even the barriers between F and Y won't keep the shrieks from 10 rows back from piercing one's ears in row 2.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not only that, but some sort of soundproofing between the zones, as even the barriers between F and Y won't keep the shrieks from 10 rows back from piercing one's ears in row 2.
would be different if upper deck was F + Y zone (instead of J + Y zone)
http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/cont...ce/A380_lo.pdf

dont recall who has upper deck with fewest seats

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'd love to say yes ban them, however, if they are sitting in a paid for seat how can we complain.

I haven't been bothered by a baby in premium. I have, however, been bothered by snoring men on many flights. Ban all men because a few snore and keep me awake?? That's what folks want. A blanket rule for all.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'd love to say yes ban them, however, if they are sitting in a paid for seat how can we complain.

I haven't been bothered by a baby in premium. I have, however, been bothered by snoring men on many flights. Ban all men because a few snore and keep me awake?? That's what folks want. A blanket rule for all.
Is the "blanket rule" to suffocate them?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Annalisa12

Funny thing, I've been bothered by more than a few women who snore as well. And in neighbouring hotel rooms, not just on planes.

I hate it when the MH alleged baby ban comes up in a thread, as it's almost universally misunderstood. Thanks to Kagehitokiri for giving what appears to be a correct summary of MH's situation. I'm sick to death of seeing it quoted as something along the lines of "Malaysian ban children in premium cabins". It's not the truth.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Let's ban obnoxious, entitled adults, and I'll happily sit with the babies. I'll even hold them if their parents let me. GIVE ME THAT BABY.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mamabear
Let's ban obnoxious, entitled adults, and I'll happily sit with the babies. I'll even hold them if their parents let me. GIVE ME THAT BABY.
^
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Hell, yes, I'll pay $18 to sit in a child free zone. I'd even pay much more than that!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least you can tell an obnoxious, entitled adult to STFU and not feel guilty about it.

And BTW, 2-5 year olds can be worse than < 2 year-olds. Especially once their legs become long enough to kick your seat.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
While we're being ageist, let's ban old people. They smell funny.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
And BTW, 2-5 year olds can be worse than < 2 year-olds. Especially once their legs become long enough to kick your seat.
Yep. I've travelled with my own kids at that age many times. My son got 'jumpy' playing video games on the IFE. I told him he kicks the seat in front of him one more time and I'm pinning his legs down.

And that's happened twice. Stuffed carry-on in front of his seat did the trick.
However, no parent has ever gotten close to doing the same favor for me.

8 years later, neither of the kids hit the seat in front of them, and if they accidentally do so, they apologize.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
They smell funny.
Yes. And prone to leaks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.