Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by tom911

Didn't realize there were some carriers that had child-free zones. Don't think I'd pay the $18 extra that one carrier charges for that zone unless it was something over 10 hours and across an ocean.
I would. In a heartbeat, lol.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Oh nice, one more group to add: Silver people who book themselves into premium area middle seats 1 hour before departure and then complain if you don't trade your isle seat in order to stay together with your three year old in the window seat ;-)

Times three since they have booked their wife and daughter into middle seats in other rows as well.

(I would, except you'd block my bathroom access while you're sleeping all the way to New York, on a daytime flight, no less)
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jacobitetraveller
regardless of what class one travels in it is PUBLIC TRANSPORT so get used to it
I think there are a fair number on this board who will be shocked to learn that what they thought was their own private airline is actually public transportation.

I agree with previous posters - if you don't want to travel with certain indivduals, travel privately.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:12 pm

I am not for baning children, I just do not like the noise. Do you mind if I am annoyed with piercing screaming? I know it is public transport, therefore, I do not drink massive amounts, or go walk around naked, or yell, or recline too much (actually I never recline). I stay civilized. A child obviously has difficulties to do so. I have no problem with kids walking around, I just cannot stand babies crying loud.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ritz
I would. In a heartbeat, lol.
+1 -> in an instant.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Avios, Aegean
Answer: yes
(yes was too short)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
Once on an AUH-MEL flight, I zwas seated next to a mother and toddler at the bulkhead seat. She was not happy (I think she had the bulkhead row for herself but I asked for a better seat and was given the bulkhead). Anyway, the woman changed diapers at the seat. At the time I was too tired to complain but I certainly would have complained about it.

Other rant: children do not have their ears fully developed. Hence, it is a fact that a baby will cry because he cannot handle the pressure changes. Thus the solution would be not to fly with your kid until he has a decent age. A crying baby is not bad, it is just the confined space which makes it unbearable. Parents should understand that they are jeopardizing a whole group of people in their voyages.
Bolding mine - The changing diapers at the seat is just gross but it isn't the baby's fault - that is a stupid/gross parent.

I've flown 3 transcons with my daughter all when she was under 3 months. Not a single tear on all 3 flights. We will be flying again soon. I bet she will cry this time (my streak of amazing luck can't last, can it?). I will do what I can to mitigate it but I hate to see my daughter cry too. But your loud voice when chatting with a seat-mate, your snoring, your booze-adled behaviour - I find those all obnoxious too. Sorry, but kids have every right to travel
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Redhead
Sorry, but kids have every right to travel
Absolutely agreed - but would you do it in first class (especially knowing your luck is running out)?

I personally wouldn't travel J/F with my kids, gives them an early sense of unearned entitlement -- but that's just how I parent. Granted, I wouldn't think babies know the difference between coach and upper class of travel.

I think the crux of the issue is J/F is obviously more expensive, and even though it's 'public transport', people in those classes of travel expect a more hospitable environment. To me, it's easier to extract out additional, and volatile, variants (such as children) in order to achieve that. By volatile I mean you just can't predetermine the outcome in any case.

In Coach, while I get annoyed at the noise or offensive smells if they happen, I paid for it, simple as that. So I don't get all uptight over it. Finally, I don't see the point of paying extra when noise and smells travel across a cabin.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:26 am

Can you imagine the outcry and backlash if an Airline actually did that though. People from everywhere without the money or intention of flying FC would be calling discrimination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.