Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

Should Babies Be Banned From First Class?

Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:55 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by mamabear
While we're being ageist, let's ban old people. They smell funny.
When they only pay 10% of the Published First Class Fare I will agree with you.

Till then there's a simple answer make people who want to take Babies into First Class pay the same fare as Old People.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:14 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by UncleDude
When they only pay 10% of the Published First Class Fare I will agree with you.

Till then there's a simple answer make people who want to take Babies into First Class pay the same fare as Old People.
But the babies aren't getting an actual seat for their 10%.

I'd be fine with getting rid of lap infants and instating a rule that kids of any age must purchase an actual seat.

However, when that leaves less room for elite upgrades, the same people will be complaining that they had to sit in back.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
You have something of a point. I think babies should have their own seat and a mandatory car seat.

But the point is, you're flying a public airline with the public. That can include babies, misbehaving toddlers, misbehaving adults (far more common in my experience), people with too much cologne, people talking too loud, people with bad breath, seat recline abusers, and just flat out people you don't like.

But somehow it seems OK for everyone to hate on young people. They're people too, and part of the public.

I never traveled much with my kids when they were little because I didn't want to deal with it.

But lots of people have no choice - far flung families, moving to another country, whatever. It's a public carrier. If they have the dough to pay for a first class ticket, more power to them.

Bottom line, children are people. I think you should be as ashamed to say there should be an age requirement for first class as you would to say there should be a RACE requirement.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by missydarlin
I'd be fine with getting rid of lap infants and instating a rule that kids of any age must purchase an actual seat.
Sounds good to me. Not just in F but every cabin
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by mamabear
While we're being ageist, let's ban old people. They smell funny.
and business travellers who drink to much. they fart too much and also smell funny with all that booze.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Moderator's note to all:

This topic has come up many, many, many times. It tends to be tediously tiresome, ends up with personal attacks, and with a thread lock.

Let's try not to recapitulate history..... Thoughtful, civil, respectful comments are welcome.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Possibly the best moderator note I've ever seen... Love it!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:36 pm

Once on an AUH-MEL flight, I zwas seated next to a mother and toddler at the bulkhead seat. She was not happy (I think she had the bulkhead row for herself but I asked for a better seat and was given the bulkhead). Anyway, the woman changed diapers at the seat. At the time I was too tired to complain but I certainly would have complained about it.

Other rant: children do not have their ears fully developed. Hence, it is a fact that a baby will cry because he cannot handle the pressure changes. Thus the solution would be not to fly with your kid until he has a decent age. A crying baby is not bad, it is just the confined space which makes it unbearable. Parents should understand that they are jeopardizing a whole group of people in their voyages.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:57 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by missydarlin
But the babies aren't getting an actual seat for their 10%.
OK if next time I share my Partners Seat/Suite/Food on Cathay Pacific First Class for half the flight can I expect a 50% Fare Refund?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:59 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel
Other rant: children do not have their ears fully developed. Hence, it is a fact that a baby will cry because he cannot handle the pressure changes. Thus the solution would be not to fly with your kid until he has a decent age. A crying baby is not bad, it is just the confined space which makes it unbearable. Parents should understand that they are jeopardizing a whole group of people in their voyages.
There are things you can do to help prevent this. Feed/nurse on take off and landing... get ear drops from your pediatrician, etc. Well before I had an infant son I was annoyed more by adult aged passengers than that of someone less than 2 years old. Babies deserve the same rights to fly from point A to B as adults do. There are a lot more adults on every flight than there are infants... meaning there are a lot more opportunities for adults to be drunk, smelly, annoying then there is for a baby.

At the end of the day it's not the baby's fault... they can't communicate in any other way than crying. What's the excuse for the adults who shouldn't be allowed to fly?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:11 pm

then the airline should ask for a proof from the doctor that the eardrops were given or something like that. I would not mind that if it helps. When a big man screams with a deep voice, even if it is loud, it is not as annoying as the high squeeks of children. I do not mind a somebody crying, it is the frequency of the sound that makes it annoying.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
No. End of story.

Want to dictate who can fly in what class? Get a private plane or a fractional share.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Oh dear the vexed question returns. Let's ban those who may one day grow up to actually pay for sitting in the seats we seek to ban them from. We were all children once. I know how about we have a movie rating flight service system for flights - BA1 could be G (or U), BA2 could be PG-13 (or PG), and BA3 could be rated R (or 18)!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:50 pm

As an adult, I will not fly an airline that discriminates against passengers (aside, of course for obvious safety issues - e.g. an airline which discriminates against passengers who are intoxicated). But even those who do not subscribe to this policy for egalitarian reasons, might boycott such airlines for punitive reasons if only parents wisely would teach their children to boycott, once the child becomes an adult, any airline which prohibited them from travelling when they were a child.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
Hell, yes, I'll pay $18 to sit in a child free zone. I'd even pay much more than that!
Let's not be hasty here. There's enough fees by the airline industry already
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I do not want to share a cabin with

smelly screaming babies, badly behaved children, badly behaved drunken adults, people who snore when they sleep , people who have loud conversations with their travelling partner and people who constantly moan about all of the above

regardless of what class one travels in it is PUBLIC TRANSPORT so get used to it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.