Reload this Page >

Scientists uncover clue to jet lag

Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive

From USA Today

Seems there is a protein called SIK1 that blocks the genes that help to recalibrate our body's response to light. They have blocked this protein in mice and said mice adjusted to a six hour change in time zones in one day instead of six days.

Pretty cool, IMHO.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Gamecock
From USA Today

Seems there is a protein called SIK1 that blocks the genes that help to recalibrate our body's response to light. They have blocked this protein in mice and said mice adjusted to a six hour change in time zones in one day instead of six days.

Pretty cool, IMHO.
SIK, dude.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
It's interesting that this protein evolved to prevent disruption of the biological clock when weather or other factors produce abnormal light conditions and would cause a resetting of the clock when it was not appropriate to do so. This is a classic case of a conflict between biological (genetic) evolution and human cultural evolution, in which changes in our society create situations that our genes, which evolved before the development of modern human society are unequipped to deal with.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by JerryFF
It's interesting that this protein evolved to prevent disruption of the biological clock when weather or other factors produce abnormal light conditions and would cause a resetting of the clock when it was not appropriate to do so. This is a classic case of a conflict between biological (genetic) evolution and human cultural evolution, in which changes in our society create situations that our genes, which evolved before the development of modern human society are unequipped to deal with.
+1. Seems like humankind on planes were never meant to cross so many time zones in a day. I'll bet the early ship explorers never experienced jet lag.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Why, just why is this research being done? To develop a pill that a major drug manufacturer can charge $ге a unit?

Interesting, yes, but I'd imagine an expensive undertaking.

Besides, for us, in the USA, we'll have to go get jetlag to fly to a place where we can afford to buy these to-be-invented pills.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why, just why is this research being done? To develop a pill that a major drug manufacturer can charge $ге a unit?
Yes, but not for the majority of the traveling public (though I'm sure many would take it if it's reasonably affordable, e.g. a small fraction of the total trip cost). I suspect the biggest customers would be large corporations and governments who send people overseas on a regular basis for multi-million/billion-dollar business negotiations, or political negotiations. They can easily afford even exorbitant prices on such drugs because the reward of a well-rested and alert negotiator would far outweigh the cost. Nonetheless, to reiterate the first point, if my international trip costs multiple thousands of dollars, I would almost certainly pay tens, maybe even hundreds of dollars (i.e. a small fraction of the trip cost) for a regimen that could reduce the annoyance of jetlag and thereby increase the pleasure of the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.