Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Planes, trains, and hypertubes

Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

http://www.adn.com/2013/08/11/301958...plans-for.html

Would you go from La to SF via a tube....at 700-800 mph?

LOS ANGELES — Imagine stepping into a car-sized capsule in downtown Los Angeles and, 30 minutes later, emerging in San Francisco

On Monday, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk unveiled a transportation concept that he said could whisk passengers the nearly 400 miles from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes — half the time it takes an airplane.

Last edited by djp98374; Aug 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: TrueBlue
Ordinarily, I'd say "no".

But this guy has done a LOT of things originally considered preposterous. Sold his first computer program at age 12. Practically invented paying via internet (PayPal). Not only designed and manufactured a practical electric car but got 5-star crash ratings and the highest Consumer Reports rating *ever*. Also is the only guy to privately design, buld, test and launh rockets with payloads to the Space Station. ...and the entire cost for designing, building and testing the rockets? Less than the cost of a single Space Shuttle launch.

THIS guy? I wouldn't put it past him.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Even if the concept never comes to fruition, it's nice to see some bold thinking out there, especially in the transportation business which hasn't had many, if any, truly revolutionary new ideas in the last half century.

That being said, I'm a little skittish about the 787, nevermind this speedy tube... I'll wait a decade or so until the wrinkles are ironed out. But I wish Elon Musk all the best!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by djplong

THIS guy? I wouldn't put it past him.
That is exactly why I posted this....because it was coming from him and his reputation.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
He is not looking to do it either. Simply proposing the idea, providing details and letting others develop/invest and run with the idea.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I read his proposal. There are a lot of assumptions which are plain wrong, which will bring costs up quite a bit. Not to mention that we haven't seen a proof of concept. California won't be the first place with this.

What he's getting is free publicity like Michael O'Leary of Ryanair.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Sounds like you need a lot of flat, low-cost land to make this work.

How about LAS-LAX (instead of the "high speed rail" that seemingly will never come to this corridor), or DEN-MCI, or DFW-ELP?

I guess it'll be quite difficult to find the right balance of available cheap, flat land and sufficient population density to make this work in anything but a white-hot, robust economy.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by Palal
Not to mention that we haven't seen a proof of concept.
What he's getting is free publicity like Michael O'Leary of Ryanair.
have to agree with this. I don't see what is so revolutionary to garner this level of media hype - how many kids with an engineering interest have sketched up exactly this? I know I and a few other kids that did, I imagine countless others did too; same as when they learn about magnets before you learn maglev trains exist; or that Ekranoplans existed before you were even born...

If he can deliver a working hoverboard... then I'll re-evaluate things

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.