Reload this Page >

No more "Loyalty": "Christopher Elliott: Frequent-flier 'rewards' often aren't"

Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

"Christopher Elliott: Frequent-flier 'rewards' often aren't"

Question regarding whether it's worth being loyal at all go mainstream. See article in USAToday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...arent/2641121/

Considering the onerous MQD requirement and the gutting of SkyTeam mileage accrual, I have more-or-less decided to switch to AS Mileage Plan. As a lowly DL silver, I think I can get the same benefits (flying DL) with less hassle by moving from DL Skymiles to AS Mileage Plan.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 12, 2013 at 11:56 am Reason: Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I don't have loyalty. I just fly with who I want according to where I want to go and what airline offers the best value for service. I stay where I want as well. I am not loyal.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There's a big difference, IMHO, in the question of loytalty to a program and Mr. Elliott's claim that it's not worth it to join a loyalty program. I book cheapest/best schedule, and pretty much always have, and let points balances, status, etc., accrue as they may. But I've never considered not joining a program and not earning the points for future use.

I don't find the arguement that it has a "cost" of giving up your private info very compelling. You need to give up that info to buy the ticket, and if Mr. Elliott doesn't think airlines can figure out that the same name/address/credit card number across multiple flights is the same person, he's incredibly uninformed.

I agree that selecting flights based on the carrier is way behind price, schedule, stops, etc - loyalty is a minor factor. But I certainly don't agree that it's a bad idea to even join a loyalty program. (FWIW, my AwardWallet count is over 50)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
From LOYALTY to FF

Ooh they were once called airline loyalty programmes, now they are FF (frequent frustration) programmes
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't have loyalty. I just fly with who I want according to where I want to go and what airline offers the best value for service. I stay where I want as well. I am not loyal.
I have loyalty. Loyalty to myself. But otherwise I agree with you.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

why do we keep discussing this guy on FT?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Elliott is a clown, has always been a clown and will continue to be a clown in the future.

Cheers
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by X3Skier
Elliott is a clown, has always been a clown and will continue to be a clown in the future.
+ne
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Because he's widely published and widely read by the general public. If we simply ignore his statements, and don't attempt to correct misleading information, we do a disservice to future FTers/wannabees. With a lack of differing opinions, they will likely accept what he says as truth.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Because he's widely published and widely read by the general public. If we simply ignore his statements, and don't attempt to correct misleading information, we do a disservice to future FTers/wannabees. With a lack of differing opinions, they will likely accept what he says as truth.
I've never read this guy's articles but without FT I wouldn't know to ignore them or question their validity
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I can see where he is coming from. When you start spending 1k plus on tier point runs to no where etc just to maintain "status" then it's crazy. Maybe I am missing something.

However, as an Avios fanatic, I love travelling for almost FREE. In the last 14 months we have had 3 lots of return flights, high season for just the Reward Flight Saver fee. Probably saved around 1200.
For next year, as we fine tune the Avios earning, savings will amount to 2K upwards.

For me, its all about A to B as cheap as possible. I love Ryanair and Easyjet when they are cheap, but even they cant fly me to Larnaca in July, with luggage and feed and water me for 35 return.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:27 pm

Christopher Elliott is a clown, and I'm not surprised he gets published in USA Today, basically Welcome to Kindergarten for Low IQ People with some news. I use that paper from hotels (never pay for it) to clean up my dog's poop.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
interesting that you should say that. I've debated some of his (whiney) articles with him online. I proved him wrong and he simply SHUT down the thread. How professional, huh?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by ChrisMcWhitton
Christopher Elliott is a clown, and I'm not surprised he gets published in USA Today, basically Welcome to Kindergarten for Low IQ People with some news. I use that paper from hotels (never pay for it) to clean up my dog's poop.
How do you really feel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.