Half of air passengers leave phones on

Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...h_flight_mode/
Old Aug 1, 2013, 6:34 pm

It has been proven many times, that cell phones can be dangerous, but only in the extremly rare circumstances - risk is close to non existant, but authorities simply are too inefficient to do anything about it, and nobody wants to be one to blame in case when something actually happens.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Plus, there is a small but very vocal minority in the pilots' unions that insist they have personally experienced their aircraft's electronics act up because of passenger electronics interference, and where such interference went away when those electronics were turned off. Nobody seems to be able to explain why these conditions aren't reproducible in laboratory conditions and there are several possibilities. I suspect this is one reason that authorities are reluctant to relax the rules.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
As many people use their phones and electronics during flight, they need to put them in flight mode first. Then turn them off. Or when it's OK to use them, they are searching for networks - the problem.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FLgrr
As many people use their phones and electronics during flight, they need to put them in flight mode first. Then turn them off. Or when it's OK to use them, they are searching for networks - the problem.
I've left mine on accidentally in non-flight mode a million times. The only issue is that the battery drains faster since it is always searching for a new network
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:54 pm

I don't care if they don't cause any "death plunge" or not. Frankly I am glad the rule exists as it is and airlines can enforce the rules not the passengers
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tsun
It has been proven many times, that cell phones can be dangerous, but only in the extremly rare circumstances - risk is close to non existant, but authorities simply are too inefficient to do anything about it, and nobody wants to be one to blame in case when something actually happens.
False, it has NEVER been proven. And decades of real life experience in commercial aviation flights shows that they are NOT a danger.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:22 pm

And how many think just pressing the sleep/wake button is turning their phone off? A lot I'd imagine.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles
"...and nine per cent said they couldn't turn off their phone as being uncontactable was unacceptable"

Genius. These people probably need to power cycle their phone regardless of being on a plane or not.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weekilter
And how many think just pressing the sleep/wake button is turning their phone off? A lot I'd imagine.
That is probably most of the other half!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I'm not at all surprised by the 50% statistic. I've sat next to many folks who use their phones all through a flight.

I'll admit that at least once I've left my Kindle on in WiFi mode in my carry on bag.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:13 pm

I never turn my phone off. Ever. Goes on airplane mode as I watch service go from 5 bars of LTE to 1 bar of 2G, but then back on once Gogo is up. If an iPhone can bring down a 737, we've got bigger problems than turning them on & off...
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
one of the greatest farces ever perpetuated. simply an additional means of control that you are subjected to from the moment you enter the airport. who needs bombs in shoes when apparently, all you have to do is leave your phone on?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
BS. I'm an EE and have been for 20+ years. My little cell phone has zero effect on the avionics and the FAA knows it. Why else would they consider allowing iPads into the *COCKPIT*?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
I never turn my phone off. Ever. Goes on airplane mode as I watch service go from 5 bars of LTE to 1 bar of 2G, but then back on once Gogo is up. If an iPhone can bring down a 737, we've got bigger problems than turning them on & off...
Nor do I. My laptop either.
The only reason I use airplane mode is because it saves a lot of battery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.