Big Delays at ATL Starting Sunday??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)

Numerous reports in the media today about how the FAA furloughs will go into effect as soon as Sunday. Delays will be bad at major hubs, with ATL expected to be the worst. 210 Minute delays.

USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...elays/2094635/

FOX Business:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...elated-delays/

I fly through ATL twice next week. Should be fun!

So, has DL responded to this yet?
(I didn't see any other threads on this subject)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I was told that the main security line was 60 mins early this afternoon and some were missing flights...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
The numbers don't add up. The FAAs budget is $16bil/yr. They were cut $637mil in sequester. That's only a 3.9% cut...yet they're furloughing 10% of controllers?! On top of that, LaHood says the furloughs only add up to $200mil/yr in savings. I think they should investigate what LaHood is doing with the rest of the money.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/travel...ays/index.html

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I was told that the main security line was 60 mins early this afternoon and some were missing flights...
I've seen that on "normal" days.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
From USA Today

"The furloughs represent about $200 million of the $637 million the FAA must cut from its budget this fiscal year. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said officials are also cutting contracts and travel, but furloughs are needed to cut enough funding."
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Too bad this doesn't count as a "weather waiver" where I can change my 1.5 hour connection to a longer one...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, gotta make sure these "cuts" are as painful as possible to the public.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The numbers don't add up. The FAAs budget is $16bil/yr. They were cut $637mil in sequester. That's only a 3.9% cut...yet they're furloughing 10% of controllers?! On top of that, LaHood says the furloughs only add up to $200mil/yr in savings. I think they should investigate what LaHood is doing with the rest of the money.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/travel...ays/index.html

The FAA has many functions. Not all are being cut by the same percentage. It's not that hard to figure out.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by rylan
Unfortunate but true
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by rylan
Would you rather they cut the people who are working on the 787 battery issue and 737 tail inspections?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel News Forum. This is too broad a topic for just the DL Forum.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:07 pm

Told by whom?

Looked fairly uncrowded to me @ 2:15.

The TSA isn't furloughing agents.

Washington, D.C. (AP) - A senior Transportation Security Administration official says so far, so good for airport travelers wary of the effects of automatic spending cuts that took effect March 1.

TSA Deputy Administrator John Halinski tells a congressional panel he doesn't expect furloughs for his agency, which staffs airport security across the nation. And, he says that longer wait times at check points have not yet materialized as a result of so-called sequestration, as Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano warned last month.

Halinski says Thursday the budget bill signed recently by President Barack Obama gave the agency additional money for security officers and long wait times have been averted for now.

Article by: RICHARD LARDNER , Associated Press
Updated: April 18, 2013
Senior TSA Official Says No Furloughs, Increased Wait Times Because of Automatic Budget Cuts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by HongKonger
The FAA has many functions. Not all are being cut by the same percentage. It's not that hard to figure out.
Thanks

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 19, 2013 at 11:56 am Reason: Removed snark and OMNI/PR political material
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Isn't today a "normal" day.
FAA furloughs will go into effect as soon as Sunday.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Mail warning to prepare for the worst... but things don't seem too bad... yet!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...urloughed.html
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Flew through ATL yesterday, didn't see any problems or any disruption more than a usual Sunday afternoon. No delays on either of my flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.