Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reclining your seatback, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Reclining your seatback, yes or no?

An article in Slate on whether seats should recline or not.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a..._share_toolbar
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nooooooooo.............!!!!!!!!!

Not this thread again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:11 am

No! I'm 6'2 and they always inconvenience me.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:23 am

There will be the usual "it's my seat, it reclines, I'll damn well do it if I want." However, we should, IMHO, acknowledge that there is no longer any space for someone to recline without torturing the person behind you. If you are in coach, or economy, on almost any aircraft, the rows have been pushed so close together that it is either the act of a Kettle, or an act of arrogant aggression to recline.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
There will be the usual "it's my seat, it reclines, I'll damn well do it if I want." However, we should, IMHO, acknowledge that there is no longer any space for someone to recline without torturing the person behind you. If you are in coach, or economy, on almost any aircraft, the rows have been pushed so close together that it is either the act of a Kettle, or an act of arrogant aggression to recline.
I take 12 hour flights to the States. True, I am in Biz but that has only been true for about 3 years -- before then I always sat in Economy.

If I could not change the position of my chair by the end of the flight my back would have been extremely sore.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Aaand, here we go again!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Oh, another one of these...
I do recline on overnights in Y in order to get any sleep at all, but not all the way back and not without first checking to see that it's okay with the person behind me.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I am 6'2" and not really bothered if someone ahead of me in Y wants to recline their seat. I find it odd that people get so huffy about this.

I normally do it myself only on overnight flights. I would not see the need to ask for permission to do so on a flight where like 80% of the pax are sleeping (or trying to).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
I'm 6'3" and typically am not bothered by people that recline. The only time I get annoyed is if it is during meal time and then the same individual chooses to then lean forward in his or her seat to eat.

Subsequently, the only time I ever recline my seat is on an overnight flight after all the services are complete and I verify that the individual behind me doesn't have a laptop or something out. I also don't sleep too well in the back of the bus, so I usually find the person behind me already asleep with seat back.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
The fact is that if a seat reclines three inches, that means that the TOP of the seat has that recline, and nobody's knees go up that high. The bottom of the seat, where the knees of the person behind you are, reclines less than an inch.

As far as laptops are concerned, there is a reason they are called that -- because you can put them on your lap top and still use them. I do recline very slowly (and never during meals) but I am not at all shy about reclining all the way.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
As far as laptops are concerned, there is a reason they are called that -- because you can put them on your lap top and still use them.
You are assuming that the lap in question still exists and is not negatively impacted by Dunlap syndrome.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I'll just leave this here...

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Personally, I don't care if you recline. But if you recline and I can't actually physically move as a result then I'm going to tell you to sod right off. Your ticket doesn't give you the right to injure me. Having been through this thread before, I know that some FT'ers think otherwise. Which I find bizarre.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I'll just leave this here...

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Personally, I don't care if you recline. But if you recline and I can't actually physically move as a result then I'm going to tell you to sod right off. Your ticket doesn't give you the right to injure me. Having been through this thread before, I know that some FT'ers think otherwise. Which I find bizarre.
If I can't recline for some reason the first thing I would do is look for these. If I find them they would be flushed down the nearest lav. Problem solved.

Need more room? Buy E+, Business or First. Don't encroach on my seat space.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by planemechanic
If I can't recline for some reason the first thing I would do is look for these. If I find them they would be flushed down the nearest lav. Problem solved.

Need more room? Buy E+, Business or First. Don't encroach on my seat space.
Big talk, but I'd think that attempting to remove another passenger's property would only serve to escalate matters in most instances.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:58 am

Not this again...
If people weren't supposed to recline their seats, airlines would not set them up so they can recline. Doh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.