Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reclining your seatback, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by LAXative
But sometimes people have to help themselves too. That "poor sucker" could have done many MANY things to not be in a non-reclining back row.
Wow. Un....believable.Just as I thought , some people have consideration for others and some obviously not.

Whether the sucker could or couldn't have done things is a pretty lame answer TBH because somebody has to be there. Maybe if the airlines discounted those seats and then people could make a choice or not you would have an argument.

Originally Posted by chollie
Such as?

On a full flight, multiple people are going to be sitting the back row in non-reclining seats no matter how savvy they are or how MANY things they tried to do about it.

Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, you can find yourself there.
^^

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Such as?

On a full flight, multiple people are going to be sitting the back row in non-reclining seats no matter how savvy they are or how MANY things they tried to do about it.

Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts, you can find yourself there.
Let's just say I've flown plenty, as an elite and as a plebeian... the one and only time in my LIFE I was assigned to the last row was because I voluntarily stood by for an earlier flight home and got the last seat.

If what you said was true, it would seem my best efforts would have a higher failure rate.

People don't end up in the last row unless:
- they voluntarily took the seat assignment;
- they weren't proactive and let the seat assignment gods determine their fate;
- they didn't try hard enough.

So, are you saying that Row 9 shouldn't recline because Row 55 is a poor sucker?

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Maybe if the airlines discounted those seats and then people could make a choice or not you would have an argument.
Then you won't like this response... why did they buy that ticket then? There's always a choice, they're not forced to sit in the last row.

Like I said... the people who are there ended up there as a result of their action or inaction. *I* did not put them there.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 15, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:24 pm

So, are you saying that Row 9 shouldn't recline because Row 55 is a poor sucker?
Exactly. That's why I won't recline except when in J, where it's a none issue or where the seat behind is empty.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fizzer
Exactly. That's why I won't recline except when in J, where it's a none issue or where the seat behind is empty.
You really shouldn't recline in J then either... if they had just taken out the J seats, they could have given Y more pitch.

According to your system, if there's an empty seat in your column anywhere behind you before you get to the last row, then reclining would be ok, yes?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:49 pm

You really shouldn't recline in J then either... if they had just taken out the J seats, they could have given Y more pitch.

According to your system, if there's an empty seat in your column anywhere behind you before you get to the last row, then reclining would be ok, yes?
Look I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. Having being stuck in the back row once, when our flights were cancelled and we got rerouted, and having a 3 hour hell journey as a consequence, I just decided ( and I admit to never thinking about it before) never to recline unless there was no obvious reason not to.

As for the J argument that there would be more room I don't agree there either. I have a choice to go in J or Y just like everyone else. I ( or somebody else ) wouldn't necessarily have a choice about being assigned the back row, so I try to consider those people by not reclining.

Now if airlines discounted the back row and people actually chose to go there then that would solve the moral dilemma. However, it's never going to happen I know. Nonetheless I just choose to do what I do. You are certainly entitled to do different and I am equally entitled to get iriritated with you when you do. Not you personally as this is a rhetorical debate, but you as the person who reclines into me.

Looking back at my earlier posts I was perhaps a little intemperate in some comments but this is one of those issues that niggles me shall we say.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Perhaps this argument could be taken to PM?

Is there anything else to say on this topic that hasn't been said many, many, many times?

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:51 pm

Missed your last point. I would have to agree. But what would be better would be if the airlines actually left room for the last passengers to recline in the first place.

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Is there anything else to say on this topic that hasn't been said many, many, many times?

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
My apologies. I shall post no more.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cblaisd

Thanks,

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Honestly, I'd say lock it... there's no traction to be gained either way. (Unless you wanted to merge this into a "Seat Recline Super Black Hole Debate" (consolidated) sticky )
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The attitude has certainly changed on reclining. It used to be universally ok to recline.. I mean, its your seat and you can do what you want.

I'm now convicted to slowly recline a bit at a time, or ask the person behind me if its ok, just to be polite. I've certainly become more aware of the reclining issue the past couple of years flying.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If Joe pays the extra $$$ to get a seat with more recline, does anyone have the right to tell him that he cannot use that recline?

(I am thinking, specifically, of the Delta Economy Comfort seat. It can cost about $80 each way for a trans-con flight and the only advantages it offers is 3-4 inches extra leg space and 50% more recline.)
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The attitude has certainly changed on reclining. It used to be universally ok to recline.. I mean, its your seat and you can do what you want.

I'm now convicted to slowly recline a bit at a time, or ask the person behind me if its ok, just to be polite. I've certainly become more aware of the reclining issue the past couple of years flying.
I agree with reclining slowly and being considerate, however I would never seek the permission of anyone else before I reclined.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I agree with reclining slowly and being considerate, however I would never seek the permission of anyone else before I reclined.
It's like the California turn signal... I'm not asking for permission to change lanes in front of you, I'm warning you that it's about to happen.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
It's like the California turn signal... I'm not asking for permission to change lanes in front of you, I'm warning you that it's about to happen.
I recall a thread on another board where the poster asked permission to recline. Permission was denied (!) and the passenger who denied permission spent the rest of her own trip with her own seat fully reclined. That OP left himself wide open by seeking permission.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Except... you don't.
Yes, they do: they paid for the space in front of them, just as you paid for the recline function (assuming the seat has the capability). All the more so if they have a seatback screen. Gee, who would have thought that it might be more complicated than the "recline regardless of effect" crowd might have been getting all laughably alpha male over it.

This isn't about the poor sod in the last row. This is about the person in front of them believing they have an absolute right to recline to any degree possible regardless of effect. No one has said 'no recline, ever', so stop positing it as a position. Some people have been suggesting that it requires consideration of other people around you. You know, like life in general.

Like I said... the people who are there ended up there as a result of their action or inaction. *I* did not put them there.
Your compassion for humanity is completely...underwhelming.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:46 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
We're done.

I had slim hopes that this thread might not go the way of umpteen others on this topic, but...

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.