Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

The breaking of the wind - is it good or bad?

The breaking of the wind - is it good or bad?

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:17 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ARN
Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Posts: 275
Would it be more accepted to break wind in C or even F, than in Y, since the amount of personal space is bigger? Or would it simply be a matter of the amount of wind broken?
KurtOlsson is offline  
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:48 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Posts: 358
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
Would it be more accepted to break wind in C or even F, than in Y, since the amount of personal space is bigger? Or would it simply be a matter of the amount of wind broken?
I think the article said it was better done in Y, since the fabric covered seats act as a filter so you don't get as much smell in the air.
quick_dry is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:29 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ARN
Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Posts: 275
Originally Posted by quick_dry
I think the article said it was better done in Y, since the fabric covered seats act as a filter so you don't get as much smell in the air.
Thanks, now I'll think of that every time I park my bum in a Y seat...
KurtOlsson is offline  
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:44 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ELP
Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Posts: 2,336
Yeah the fabric in Y seats are great. Be sure to sit up straight and straighten your back so your bum is pointed straight down on the seat cushion, and you want to let it loose slowly and in small amounts for two reasons, it is quiet so nobody hears, and if it is let out slowly that should hopefully allow the seat cushion to absorb as much as possible to keep the smell to a minimum.
Dadaluma83 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 2013, 2:52 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The lower of the two Carolinas
Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
Thanks, now I'll think of that every time I park my bum in a Y seat...
In Y - where I spend most of my air time (OMG) - I think of it every time during the safety briefing when they remind me my seat cushion can be used as a flotation device.
Pup7 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:22 am
  #36  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 42,633
Originally Posted by Pup7
In Y - where I spend most of my air time (OMG) - I think of it every time during the safety briefing when they remind me my seat cushion can be used as a flotation device.
The FAs refer to them as 'fart sponges'. I certainly wouldn't be eager to embrace one as a flotation device.
chollie is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2013, 7:26 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ARN
Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Posts: 275
Originally Posted by chollie
The FAs refer to them as 'fart sponges'. I certainly wouldn't be eager to embrace one as a flotation device.
Not to mention those (these days rare) fairly empty flights, where people grab the chance to lie down across 3 or 4 seats and get some sleep with their face right on the seat cushion...
KurtOlsson is offline  
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:12 pm
  #38  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 42,633
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
Not to mention those (these days rare) fairly empty flights, where people grab the chance to lie down across 3 or 4 seats and get some sleep with their face right on the seat cushion...
Eewwww!
chollie is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:12 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 101
i've floated a couple of airbiscuits whislt on a cross-country flight. the 1st thing i do when i get to my seat is to turn on the air nozzle on full blast..........
Meapya is offline  
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:48 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: MUC/SFO/GDN
Posts: 109
I wonder how much has been spent on research on this topic
Tsun is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:18 am
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 14,241
Originally Posted by ardboe
They could add that sometimes the engine sound doesn't cover loud farts. And you haven't got away with it.
Hmm, so not a silent but deadly one!
Annalisa12 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:21 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CHA, MAN;
Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Posts: 11,169
I floated a couple of botty burps yesterday on F9 396 - to celebrate me flying into my 50th state DE. Fortunately they did not smell badly.
GRALISTAIR is offline  
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:13 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,051
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Yeah the fabric in Y seats are great. Be sure to sit up straight and straighten your back so your bum is pointed straight down on the seat cushion, and you want to let it loose slowly and in small amounts for two reasons, it is quiet so nobody hears, and if it is let out slowly that should hopefully allow the seat cushion to absorb as much as possible to keep the smell to a minimum.
The sound is not a huge problem on planes due to the sound of the engines. Airbus planes are considerably quieter, so save the beans, chili et all for flights on Boeing birds.
florin is offline  
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:19 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: EAR
Posts: 135
It doesn't matter what class your bum is in. If you have to fart, FART!

Come to think of it, if everyone on board ripped one at the same time, would the oxygen masks deploy?
EAR111pt2 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:33 am
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 14,241
Talking

Originally Posted by EAR111pt2
It doesn't matter what class your bum is in. If you have to fart, FART!

Come to think of it, if everyone on board ripped one at the same time, would the oxygen masks deploy?
Agreed. We're all human, no matter what class we sit in. I had a 50+ work friend who dresses immaculately and shops in the finest stores. She said she loves, and I quote her words "letting fluffy off the leash" in those stores and then scoots off to watch others walk through the area because everyone things rich people don't fart! lol

What is this thread coming too!! I feel like an immature school girl!
Annalisa12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.