Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Window Woes: A Ride on the 787

Old Dec 16, 12, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Now up in Patrick Smith's Ask the Pilot....

A RIDE ON THE 787: A PERSPECTIVE FROM ECONOMY CLASS.

BOEING'S NEW JETLINER IS SLEEK, QUIET AND COMFORTABLE.

NOW, IF THEY COULD JUST FIX THE WINDOWS.

This is my report on a recent flight from Boston to Narita aboard a JAL 787. A good experience all around, but my one gripe is the electronic tinting function of the 787's windows.

Plus: Is Boston-Logan the most underrated airport in America?

The full article is here...

http://www.askthepilot.com

Enjoy,
PS
Old Dec 19, 12, 9:10 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I do think that BOS is underrated. It used to be a dump but got much better over the years.
Old Dec 22, 12, 2:28 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by florin View Post
I do think that BOS is underrated. It used to be a dump but got much better over the years.
did they re-do it since May 2009? I remember the United gate area being a dingy, creepy, sad looking terminal.
Old Dec 22, 12, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by x1achilles View Post
did they re-do it since May 2009? I remember the United gate area being a dingy, creepy, sad looking terminal.

Things are basically the same as they were in '09. But for what it's worth, the UA's gates are Terminal C are among the airport's oldest and least attractive. I'm not sure I'd call them dingy or creepy, but this is one area of BOS yet to be extensively renovated.

- PS
Old Dec 24, 12, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by GateHold View Post
Things are basically the same as they were in '09. But for what it's worth, the UA's gates are Terminal C are among the airport's oldest and least attractive. I'm not sure I'd call them dingy or creepy, but this is one area of BOS yet to be extensively renovated.
Terminal A is nice. Terminal C not so much. No point in UA paying to renovate Terminal C when they are going to move to terminal B, which is currently under renovation.
Old Jan 13, 13, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
Wow didn't expect BOEING to have an issue with the windows? Overall it must be thrilling. Now could you let me know if you really felt fresher than on other long haul flights? Meaning did the new pressurisation system and odor filter really did their work? After hours on the plane and it gets 'sticky' it becomes uncomfortable.
Old Jan 14, 13, 2:33 am
Suspended

Good information. ^
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K

Windows are the least of their problems now.
Old Jan 17, 13, 8:57 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
The new heated seats more than offset the window problems IMHO
Old Jan 19, 13, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by zigzagg900 View Post
Windows are the least of their problems now.
Yeah true. Interestingly enough the same batteries will be used in the upcoming A350. I can't help it but fear that it's a beattery issue rather a fault made by Boeing.

However. LOT continue to fly the 787. Link I believe on aviationweek.
Old Jan 20, 13, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by crisdean View Post
However. LOT continue to fly the 787. Link I believe on aviationweek.
LOT have two aircraft and they're both grounded as well (since Wednesday).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21054089
Old Jan 20, 13, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
LOT have two aircraft and they're both grounded as well (since Wednesday).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21054089
Bugger! Well let's hope the issues can be fixed pretty soon! Hoping that for all frequent flyers and aircraft enthusiasts.
Old Jan 22, 13, 4:09 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by crisdean View Post
I can't help it but fear that it's a beattery issue rather a fault made by Boeing.
Completely irrelevant. If I buy a new car and a part breaks (say the alternator), I don't care what company actually made that particular part, I'm going to blame the car manufacturer (or assembler). It's Boeing who sells the plane and the airworthiness of that bird is Boeing's responsibility, regardless of who actually makes the faulty part.
Old Jul 30, 13, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by GateHold View Post

but my one gripe is the electronic tinting function of the 787's windows.

PS
I couldn't agree more ! Those windows suck ! They are not able to be completely clear and have weird discolouration bands across them. I've posted examples on Youtube of this - firstly theres a type of discolouration when the sun is shining through them at virtually any angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ql5iwIybB8
then there's discoloration in ambient light although its hard to show without comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqw-wLX_ZLI

Those windows are going to be a big disappointment to photographers. Another group of people who will be disappointed is sleepers. There's nothing worse than being woken up at dawn with the sun shining right in your eyes as I was.
So yea, a big thumbs down to 787 windows. And in the next few months/weeks/years they're bound to malfunction, just like those 50-way electric seats that never work properly in older jets.
Old Jul 31, 13, 12:18 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
Originally Posted by smurfboard View Post
I couldn't agree more ! Those windows suck ! They are not able to be completely clear and have weird discolouration bands across them. I've posted examples on Youtube of this - firstly theres a type of discolouration when the sun is shining through them at virtually any angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ql5iwIybB8
then there's discoloration in ambient light although its hard to show without comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqw-wLX_ZLI

Those windows are going to be a big disappointment to photographers. Another group of people who will be disappointed is sleepers. There's nothing worse than being woken up at dawn with the sun shining right in your eyes as I was.
So yea, a big thumbs down to 787 windows. And in the next few months/weeks/years they're bound to malfunction, just like those 50-way electric seats that never work properly in older jets.
I wonder how these windows look while wearing polarized sunglasses. I could see the distortion pretty good in the first video

Search this Thread
Search Engine: