Wiki Posts
Search

Rediscovering the Amsterdam Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Rediscovering the Amsterdam Airport

Now up in ASK THE PILOT:

A letter from Amsterdam-Schiphol. Rediscovering one of the world's friendliest airports.

Some cool photos too.

The full story is up on my home page:
http://www.askthepilot.com

Enjoy.

- Patrick
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:42 pm

Nice story! Yes, AMS is a nice airport. I have recently been in LHR and ORD and the difference was staggering. One thing I like about AMS is that all gates are within walking distance (although it may be a long walk). Privium (eye scan passport control) is fast and pretty cool too. AMS even has free showers post customs, accessible to all transfer passengers (bring your own towel - and flip flops if you are concerned about athlete's foot).
BTW: the pronounciation of the CH in Schiphol is not a K but the same CH as in Loch Ness.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:19 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zaynab
BTW: the pronounciation of the CH in Schiphol is not a K but the same CH as in Loch Ness.
I'm not hearing a difference: http://www.forvo.com/word/schiphol/
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:25 am

AMS is definitely one of the best airports in the world! I visited a friend from Netherlands last year and I can attest to the friendly and accommodating staff of the airport. The free showers are pretty cool, too.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Zaynab
Nice story! Yes, AMS is a nice airport. I have recently been in LHR and ORD and the difference was staggering. One thing I like about AMS is that all gates are within walking distance (although it may be a long walk). Privium (eye scan passport control) is fast and pretty cool too. AMS even has free showers post customs, accessible to all transfer passengers (bring your own towel - and flip flops if you are concerned about athlete's foot).
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
I'm not hearing a difference: http://www.forvo.com/word/schiphol/
My Dutch colleague pronounces it with the K vice a CH...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I hear the CH in Schiphol as that noise one makes when one clears one's throat or gargles, a German consonant or a Hebrew consonant. I can speak a bit of Hebrew and a bit of German, so I can pronounce Schiphol "correctly." I'm awful at Dutch, though.

I referred to the run from a BOS-AMS flight to an AMS-CDG flight leaving at the other side of the airport as the Schiphol Slalom.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Airport Pronunciations

All right, so ignoring Schiphol for a moment, how do you pronounce "La Guardia?"

Do you say it, "La-Gwardia", or with the hard "g" and silent "u", as in the word "guard." La-guard-ia?

And what other examples of controversial airport pronunciations are out there?

Wait, I know the answer: Bangkok Suvarnabhumi.

I say it's "So-wanna-poom."

-- Patrick Smith

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.