FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Wall St. Journal: The World's Oddest Air Routes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1398526-wall-st-journal-worlds-oddest-air-routes.html)

aerodrome Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 19938736)
domestic...North America? Curious about non-stop "odd" air routes, but routing through ICT sounds alright.

Yeah..the Canadian airports I know of file pax flying to the US to the "domestic" departure gates. Canada knows how to declare state sovereignty.:D

BuildingMyBento Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Mihin Lanka (MJ) does Jakarta-Colombo. Is it to shuttle Indonesian laborers through Sri Lanka to the Gulf, or are there many Indonesians in Sri Lanka, or are business ties booming (and if so, then why use an LCC)? Not sure how odd it is really, so if anyone knows, let US know too!

Forrest Bump Jan 25, 2013 9:49 am

The "13 miler", the day I'll discover where it is :rolleyes:

pinkcat Jan 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump (Post 20121989)
The "13 miler", the day I'll discover where it is :rolleyes:

between 2 islands somewhere like the caribbean I assume!

Ahh I get it, the flight isnt 13 miles, the origin and destination are 13 miles apart:D

MrMan Jan 30, 2013 1:50 pm

How about the daily 737 flight from Las Vegas to "Area 51".

Dow has a daily flight from Mid-Michigan (MSB) to Freeport, Tx to shuttle employees.

GRALISTAIR Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan (Post 20154581)
How about the daily 737 flight from Las Vegas to "Area 51". Dow has a daily flight from Mid-Michigan (MSB) to Freeport, Tx to shuttle employees.

In a previous company DOW were a key customer. Now they are a key supplier. I thus knew about this flight.

British Aerospace have a similar one - it operates from Warton Aerodrome in Lancashire UK to somwhere in Germany I think.

RabbitIYH Aug 20, 2017 10:24 am

AF, through HOP!, operates a twice-weekly flight between LYS and GOT with an Embraer 145. I've always wondered about this one. It is consistently two to three times more expensive that the same route with a connection through CDG or AMS and the frequency doesn't really make it a convenient option for business travellers. Anyone knows why this exists?

Putnik Aug 23, 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 19524739)
The two cities are of similar size, but I think Pittsburgh is better known outside the U.S. than Cincinnati because of its historical association with steel industry. Pittsburgh has a well know University CMU, better museums ans is more cosmopolitan than Cincinnati, which is more provincial IMHO. None of this has anything to do with location of a hub though. If it were not for the research triangle, Raleigh-London would be odd too. It will never be like NYC-LON or NYC-PAR.

Cincinnati has headquarters for P&G, GE Aviation, Macy's, CFM International (Jet Engines) and many many more.

knoydart Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by RabbitIYH (Post 28713423)
AF, through HOP!, operates a twice-weekly flight between LYS and GOT with an Embraer 145. I've always wondered about this one. It is consistently two to three times more expensive that the same route with a connection through CDG or AMS and the frequency doesn't really make it a convenient option for business travellers. Anyone knows why this exists?

Possibly a GSK run into GOT? BA were running Cambridge - GOT flights for a while on contract to GSK with ridiculous prices compared to LHR and no reward seats available ever.

TheTakeOffRush Aug 30, 2017 12:01 am

Not to mention that both Cincy and Paris are tennis-loving cities.

josmon10 Aug 30, 2017 3:27 am

When looking for different options to get to Mexico, I just came across DUB-LAX on Ethiopian. Definitely not an airline I would choose to fly again, especially such a long flight and in Y.

Putnik Aug 30, 2017 9:14 am

Yup, I just saw the Ethiopean 787 at LAX yesterday and was wandering how long that route is.

beachmouse Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm

They're apparently trying to put together a mini-hub for fifth freedom North American/African routes in Dublin.

RabbitIYH Sep 3, 2017 3:44 am

Originally Posted by knoydart (Post 28731383)
Possibly a GSK run into GOT? BA were running Cambridge - GOT flights for a while on contract to GSK with ridiculous prices compared to LHR and no reward seats available ever.

Ah, that could be it I suppose. Do GSK have offices in LYS too?

Smiley90 Aug 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Figure I might as well revive this thread - Very surprised at XIY-HEL. All other long-haul flights out of XIY are operated by either China Eastern or Hainan (+1 flight from Tianjin & 1 from Beijing Capital), and then there's.... HEL-XIY operated by Finnair. What's up with that?