Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Wall St. Journal: The World's Oddest Air Routes

Wall St. Journal: The World's Oddest Air Routes

Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
domestic...North America? Curious about non-stop "odd" air routes, but routing through ICT sounds alright.
Yeah..the Canadian airports I know of file pax flying to the US to the "domestic" departure gates. Canada knows how to declare state sovereignty.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:18 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Mihin Lanka (MJ) does Jakarta-Colombo. Is it to shuttle Indonesian laborers through Sri Lanka to the Gulf, or are there many Indonesians in Sri Lanka, or are business ties booming (and if so, then why use an LCC)? Not sure how odd it is really, so if anyone knows, let US know too!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
The "13 miler", the day I'll discover where it is
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
The "13 miler", the day I'll discover where it is
between 2 islands somewhere like the caribbean I assume!

Ahh I get it, the flight isnt 13 miles, the origin and destination are 13 miles apart
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:50 pm

How about the daily 737 flight from Las Vegas to "Area 51".

Dow has a daily flight from Mid-Michigan (MSB) to Freeport, Tx to shuttle employees.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MrMan
How about the daily 737 flight from Las Vegas to "Area 51". Dow has a daily flight from Mid-Michigan (MSB) to Freeport, Tx to shuttle employees.
In a previous company DOW were a key customer. Now they are a key supplier. I thus knew about this flight.

British Aerospace have a similar one - it operates from Warton Aerodrome in Lancashire UK to somwhere in Germany I think.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
AF, through HOP!, operates a twice-weekly flight between LYS and GOT with an Embraer 145. I've always wondered about this one. It is consistently two to three times more expensive that the same route with a connection through CDG or AMS and the frequency doesn't really make it a convenient option for business travellers. Anyone knows why this exists?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yaatri
The two cities are of similar size, but I think Pittsburgh is better known outside the U.S. than Cincinnati because of its historical association with steel industry. Pittsburgh has a well know University CMU, better museums ans is more cosmopolitan than Cincinnati, which is more provincial IMHO. None of this has anything to do with location of a hub though. If it were not for the research triangle, Raleigh-London would be odd too. It will never be like NYC-LON or NYC-PAR.
Cincinnati has headquarters for P&G, GE Aviation, Macy's, CFM International (Jet Engines) and many many more.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by RabbitIYH
AF, through HOP!, operates a twice-weekly flight between LYS and GOT with an Embraer 145. I've always wondered about this one. It is consistently two to three times more expensive that the same route with a connection through CDG or AMS and the frequency doesn't really make it a convenient option for business travellers. Anyone knows why this exists?
Possibly a GSK run into GOT? BA were running Cambridge - GOT flights for a while on contract to GSK with ridiculous prices compared to LHR and no reward seats available ever.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: UA, HA
Not to mention that both Cincy and Paris are tennis-loving cities.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
When looking for different options to get to Mexico, I just came across DUB-LAX on Ethiopian. Definitely not an airline I would choose to fly again, especially such a long flight and in Y.

Last edited by josmon10; Aug 30, 2017 at 8:40 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Yup, I just saw the Ethiopean 787 at LAX yesterday and was wandering how long that route is.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
They're apparently trying to put together a mini-hub for fifth freedom North American/African routes in Dublin.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:44 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by knoydart
Possibly a GSK run into GOT? BA were running Cambridge - GOT flights for a while on contract to GSK with ridiculous prices compared to LHR and no reward seats available ever.
Ah, that could be it I suppose. Do GSK have offices in LYS too?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Figure I might as well revive this thread - Very surprised at XIY-HEL. All other long-haul flights out of XIY are operated by either China Eastern or Hainan (+1 flight from Tianjin & 1 from Beijing Capital), and then there's.... HEL-XIY operated by Finnair. What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.