Wall St. Journal: The World's Oddest Air Routes

Wall St. Journal: The World's Oddest Air Routes

Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:04 am

Netherlands still is one of their biggest trade partners
Did not know that.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
thanks for posting the article, as a result I looked into some BOS-Azores direct flights, currently a 'special' for less than 300Euro.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:22 am

Ms kul-cpt-eze

Although they cancelled it earlier this year, Malaysia's KUL-CPT-EZE has got be one of the most exotic with both destinations in some of the least visited continents. Psychologically, it seems longer than it actually is (9 555Km and then 6 869Km) and that's very long!
Kris_Chari likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Dredgy
Did not know that.
And as an additional fun trivia... the old Surinam Airways 747 fleet was actually a set of re-used aircraft from KLM that they did not buy but traded for merchandise with the government.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by jozdemir
They should add in FNJ-KWI :-)

But then again most routes Air Koryo would fly come across as odd
I recently flew on Air Koryo's weekly flight from Pyongyang to Vladivostok (on a new Tupelov 204). The plane was full, mostly with Malaysians, who appeared to be a group of tourists. (I was also a tourist.)
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Sometimes, tag end service has odd combinations.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Track
I recently flew on Air Koryo's weekly flight from Pyongyang to Vladivostok (on a new Tupelov 204). The plane was full, mostly with Malaysians, who appeared to be a group of tourists. (I was also a tourist.)
What was a New Yorker doing in the PDRK?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by everybodyreach
Although they cancelled it earlier this year, Malaysia's KUL-CPT-EZE has got be one of the most exotic with both destinations in some of the least visited continents. Psychologically, it seems longer than it actually is (9 555Km and then 6 869Km) and that's very long!
Didn't they also have a KUL-ARN-(?)JFK flight?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:49 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Plastic Elite
The DPRK? Well I was there as well...there were two other Americans with me. Actually, we were told that we couldn't take the train out with the rest of the (Koryo Tour) group, so we flew to Shenyang instead. Much better, IMO...
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by everybodyreach
It sounds odd, but routing Southern Africa is the most direct route from SE Asia to South America. By contrast Singapore Airlines do SIN-BCN-GRU, longer but probably higher traffic on both sectors.

Shame MH cancelled the route, as it would have meant when they joined one world, it would have been the only alliance to allow round the world flights entirely in the southern hemisphere.
Kris_Chari likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Plastic Elite
I had never been there before, so I had to go see it, and I'm glad I did. With my eyes wide open and with a critical view of the place it was revealing. Non-stop propaganda yes, and of course foreigners never get to see any poor or starving people or decrepit buildings. The propaganda was so blatant and corny that one could only laugh (the Kim-il-Sung mausoleum and trophy/gift room were highlights), but the "games" were truly impressive (synchronized gymnastics, etc.). Anyone who lives in Pyongyang has to be a supporter of the regime, and all foreigners are always accompanied by "guides." I had one English-speaking guide who spoke no German and one German-speaking guide who spoke no English, so I could talk to each independent of the other, and both showed real curiosity about the outside world - after spouting the required blah-blah. The food (for foreigners) was great, and accommodations were acceptable. Everything ran very smoothly, but it is expensive (the Kims need convertible currency for their scotch, etc.) The place has to be seen to be believed, so go!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
It sounds odd, but routing Southern Africa is the most direct route from SE Asia to South America. By contrast Singapore Airlines do SIN-BCN-GRU, longer but probably higher traffic on both sectors.

Shame MH cancelled the route, as it would have meant when they joined one world, it would have been the only alliance to allow round the world flights entirely in the southern hemisphere.
The Cape Malay are descendants of (Indonesians) and Malays shipped over to South Africa in the 1600s. Not necessarily the most likely source of passengers between KUL and CPT, but a connection nonetheless.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:50 pm

This is domestic...from YVR to Grand Rapids, MI, I flew through DFW, Wichita, Kansas, and Chicago. Hooray AA points.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:05 am

The World's Oddest Air Routes

Iberia's MAD-Cordoba (Argentina) comes to mind, but don't know if it's still operating
Kris_Chari likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by aerodrome
This is domestic...from YVR to Grand Rapids, MI, I flew through DFW, Wichita, Kansas, and Chicago. Hooray AA points.
domestic...North America? Curious about non-stop "odd" air routes, but routing through ICT sounds alright.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.