Saudi princess tried to dodge $7 million Paris hotel bill

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...aying/712345/1

Reports out of Paris last week said a Saudi princess was caught trying to leave the ultra-luxury Shangri-La hotel in the middle of the night - with 60 servants in tow - without settling her $7.4 million bill.

According to Agence France Presse (AFP), police confirmed the story - first broken by the daily Le Parisien.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://travel.usatoday.com/hotels/po...aying/712345/1

Reports out of Paris last week said a Saudi princess was caught trying to leave the ultra-luxury Shangri-La hotel in the middle of the night - with 60 servants in tow - without settling her $7.4 million bill.

According to Agence France Presse (AFP), police confirmed the story - first broken by the daily Le Parisien.
The princess must have amazing reasononing ability to think they could slip out unnoticed.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Did she really think that 60+ people could sneak out of a place like that and no one would notice their $7 million bill wasn't settled? Either that is one very dim lady, or there's more to this story than meets the eye.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 5:40 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Originally Posted by ajax
Did she really think that 60+ people could sneak out of a place like that and no one would notice their $7 million bill wasn't settled? Either that is one very dim lady, or there's more to this story than meets the eye.
Maybe she used the ol' "we'll all just walk out backwards and maybe they'll think we're coming in" theory....
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:59 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am surprised the hotel did not require the bill to be settled on a regular basis... they had been there for over 60 days.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:18 pm
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
To be fair, that's some creative journalism from US Today:

When contacted by AFP, the luxury hotel's director Alain Borgers said that that are "no problems" with its clients and "no unpaid bills" at the moment.
It typicall doesnt fall to celebrity big whigs, let alone Queens and Kings to settle/care about hotel bills. Someone in her entourage must have been responsible and if they checked in OK it'd be safe to assume the hotel had some sort of credit arrangement in place - especially when she'd been staying for 6 months!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have had instances where my party departed or nearly departed the hotel thinking the bill for all the rooms was settled in full by/via another party even as it wasn't paid at all.

This person, however, seems to have a sort of reputation of running up bills and then basically railroading the situation such that the bill gets picked up by the state that is a servant to the huge Saudi royal family.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 28, 2012 at 3:13 pm
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8525286.html

Three 'Aladdin's caves' of luxury goods stockpiled by a shopaholic Saudi princess are to be seized to settle millions of euros in unpaid bills

A French judge has ordered the three lock-up stores in the Paris area to be cleared of jewels, art-works, leather goods and clothes believed to be worth up to Euros 12m.

Princess Maha Al-Sudairi, former wife of the late Saudi crown prince, has made headlines several times in the last four years by running up, and omitting to pay, immense hotel and shopping bills in the West. In June last year, she left the Shangri-la Hotel in Paris with 60 of her staff without paying the €6m bill for an entire floor that she had occupied for six months.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Heads are going to roll.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Their sense of entitlement over there is so out of proportion it's truly indescribable. And yes, she has a terrible reputation - she's had it for years. I truly don't think she believes she has to pay it. My other thought is she has absolutely no concept of what 'pay for' means, and is so accustomed to just getting/taking/having things gotten for her/given to her that she either assumes it's paid for or believes it will be.

And I don't think she cares.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: most of them
so if you were a hotel and knew her reputation why would you let her stay there for 6 months (!) until you asked her to pay something? Even if you didn't know her reputation.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
This ruins my childhood memories of Aladdin
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
so if you were a hotel and knew her reputation why would you let her stay there for 6 months (!) until you asked her to pay something? Even if you didn't know her reputation.
My understanding is that the money gets collected eventually.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by pooker
This ruins my childhood memories of Aladdin
Yeah, I remember that I watch the cartoon TV show since I was young.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Saudi women can't drive, can't vote, and apparently can't pay a bill either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.