Wiki Posts
Search

A380 Fix Could Take 2 Months

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
A380 Fix Could Take 2 Months

Not a happy time for BAE, but give the teething problems for the 787, Boeing fans have little cause for gloating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18397398
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Please! No more inspection all A380. This should have enough already. It is now safe to fly. There is nothing worry about the wing cracks.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by N830MH
Please! No more inspection all A380. This should have enough already. It is now safe to fly. There is nothing worry about the wing cracks.

Um, I am at least one traveler who would prefer they ensure no cracks...

Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman

Um, I am at least one traveler who would prefer they ensure no cracks...

Trust me, every airplane you have ever flown on, or will ever fly on, has cracks somewhere on the airplane. The airplanes are designed to have a certain level of damage tolerance, and cracks are included in that evaluation, and they are safe to fly. If you want to fly on a crack free airplane forget about it, they don't exist. Call Amtrak instead.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Whew - that's a relief. I'm glad the matter is finally settled.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planemechanic
Trust me, every airplane you have ever flown on, or will ever fly on, has cracks somewhere on the airplane. The airplanes are designed to have a certain level of damage tolerance, and cracks are included in that evaluation, and they are safe to fly. If you want to fly on a crack free airplane forget about it, they don't exist. Call Amtrak instead.
Except I do not think Amtrak is going to get me across the Pond...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:42 am
Suspended

No, not really. Not the nearly brand new ones. That's the issue - these planes are getting cracks in critical areas, VERY early in their service life. It's one thing if a plane that has been in service 10-20 years starts showing cracks from a lifetime of pressurizing and depressurizing, taking off and landing, and an inspection regime can insure that these remain minor. It's quite another when a nearly brand new plane (one that holds over 500 souls on board, BTW) starts exhibiting them. It doesn't speak well for what will happen 10+ years into the service life of the plane.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 am
Suspended

How 'bout Costa Cruises?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How about the QE II?

Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armattheus
How about the QE II?

I'll most likely stick with my DL 764's and AA 772/763/752...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
I sense bias here. Why would anyone want to assume that a plane is safe, when problems are continuously found, especially in the early stages of its life?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by malsf1
I sense bias here. Why would anyone want to assume that a plane is safe, when problems are continuously found, especially in the early stages of its life?
^
Especially since the smallest thing, can cause the largest problems...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I sense bias here.
Got that right. Only question is whose.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:46 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I sense bias here.
Got that right. Only question is whose.
Yes.

There are democrats and republicans; vegetarians and omnivores; prolifers and abortion right activists; creationists and evolutionists; and Boeing enthusiasts and Airbus enthusiasts.

Then, there are the rest of us.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Thats certainly fair, if my tray table has a crack I don't have a problem over looking it, however personally I would prefer if they fixed the cracks in the brakets that hold the wings on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.