Search

Military families to get free pass to national parks

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Military families to get free pass to national parks

Mods - as this is US specific, feel free to move to the Destination forum if needed...since this applies across the US, I put it here. Thanks!

CNN: Military families to get free pass to national parks

As a service member, I think this is pretty cool. Of course, with living outside of the US, it will be more of a challenge to take advantage of this!

Members of the U.S. military and their families are now eligible for free annual passes to national parks and monuments as part of a program timed to celebrate Armed Forces Day on Saturday, the White House announced.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar was to issue the first passes Tuesday at an event in Yorktown, Virginia.

The passes normally cost $80 and cover admission to 2,000 locations managed by the National Park Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Forest Service and other federal agencies.

Under the program, military members and their dependents will only need to show Defense Department identification to get the free passes.
Old May 18, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
As a military service member, I am thrilled.

I also think posts like this show why we need a military/government travel section. Would be nice to have one place to be able to discuss the nuances of GSA City-Pairs and per diem and Space-A travel and .....
Old May 19, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Great way to support mil families with next to no cost to the government. ^

Last edited by cblaisd; May 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm Reason: Removed response to now-deleted OMNI/PR-type post
Old May 19, 2012, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillR
Great way to support mil families with next to no cost to the government. ^
No cost? So if a million families are excused from paying $80 each you think the government is not out $80 million? All of which could be used to improve our nations parks.

Last edited by cblaisd; May 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm Reason: Removed quote of now-deleted material that was in response to now-deleted OMNI/PR-type post
Old May 19, 2012, 6:42 am

This is simply a way of thanking our military and their families for their sacrifices and service to the country. I think it's a great idea.

Last edited by cblaisd; May 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reason: Removed quote of and response to now-deleted OMNI/PR-type post
Old May 19, 2012, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by planemechanic
No cost? So if a million families are excused from paying $80 each you think the government is not out $80 million? All of which could be used to improve our nations parks.
Actually, the government is only out the money which would have been paid by these families if they did not have this pass. I would imagine that if 1 million families are eligible for it, only a small percentage will actually use it, and even a smaller percentage would have gone to the parks without the pass.

Meanwhile, I see it as an employee benefit given by the federal government to a class of employees (a class, which as a whole, is paid less per person than most other federal employees).
Old May 21, 2012, 10:50 am

Smile It is about time!

As a veteran I am so pleased to see that military families are getting this ability to go to National Parks for free.
We don't pay them or appreciate them enough, anything they get is great, I hope our government finds other things they can do for our military and their families, like better pay, etc.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
This makes more sense that anyone can articulate. The national parks are part of the fabric and identity of this country and the values upon which it was founded. This is wonderful news. And thanks to OP for posting.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
YES!!! A small way to show appreciation to those who volunteer to serve their country. And the minimal cost to impliment it is far outweighed by the pleasure it would bring to those in the military and their families who might make use of the offer. ^^^

bj-21.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:03 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Gamecock
As a military service member, I am thrilled.

I also think posts like this show why we need a military/government travel section. Would be nice to have one place to be able to discuss the nuances of GSA City-Pairs and per diem and Space-A travel and .....
Gah!!! Don't even get me started on GSA city pairs, or how stupid it is to be forced to use CTO/GTO to purchase a new flight, rather than simply having the airline rebook you on the next day's flight when they cancel that night's flight.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by kipper
Gah!!! Don't even get me started on GSA city pairs
Please start telling us what you think of GSA city pairs.

(You might even explain what the heck they are.)
Old May 22, 2012, 9:29 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Dovster
Please start telling us what you think of GSA city pairs.

(You might even explain what the heck they are.)
GSA city pairs are the reason Mr. Kipper has to do mileage runs, rather than simply re-qualing for status based on his travel for work. GSA (General Services Administration) has negotiated one-way fares with various airlines, so that when booking airline tickets, you must select the airline that has the contract for that route.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Good Move by the Government! Yes there will be a little lost Revenue but in the long run this could actually make money in the long run since they may be more likely to travel to visit the parks.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Good Move by the Government! Yes there will be a little lost Revenue but in the long run this could actually make money in the long run since they may be more likely to travel to visit the parks.
My thought exactly. These folks may not spend money at the gate, but could spend more with the concessionaires and park services, which I would hope the NPS would get a cut of. The thought that this is money out of the government's pocket is sort of like the chain grocery store that insists on telling me how much I saved each time I check out, when the truth of the matter is that I probably would not have bought their products if they had not been on sale to begin with.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:22 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A word to the wise: I've now had to delete, for the second time, OMNI/PR-type political posts and response(s) thereto. You know who you are. Please don't make such posts or respond to them.

If you want to discuss or make tendentious characterizations of the military please start a thread in OMNI/PR. Further such on this thread or in this forum will incur the response stated in the FT TOS.

Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.