Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines and Biofuels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Airlines and Biofuels

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0....html?ir=Green

This story isn't breaking news, but I came across it and thought it might spark some interesting conversation. The issue is the use of biofuels to power airplanes and whether or not they are a sustainable improvement over traditional jet fuel.

Given that so many of us travel to appreciate the wonders of the planet and would like to preserve it, I was curious to know if FTers make a personal effort to offset their travel related carbon footprint.

I have paid for the planting of trees through the Arbor Day Foundation in the past, but I'm sure I have a long way to go to offset my own footprint.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i thought the main plant producer of bio-diesel was rape seed.
i thought bio diesel, unlike sugar gas when compared to gas, was essentially identical to diesel. i do not know how they compensate for the lack of sulpher in the bio diesel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.