Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another Russian aircraft crashes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond

The aircraft involved this time was a Yakovlev-42, and was carrying a Russian hockey team.

Russian plane crash highlights air travel safety issues
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As a St. Louis Blues fan, I was devastated to hear that Pavol Dimitra was on that flight.

RIP Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC, WN, AA
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
As a St. Louis Blues fan, I was devastated to hear that Pavol Dimitra was on that flight.

RIP Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
There were quite a few NHL alumni on that plane. Everybody will be missed, be they former NHL players, lifelong KHL players, or flight attendants that will be mourned by friends and family.

As a hockey fan, I'm wondering (with no disrespect to the dead) how the league will carry on from this tragedy. This is a major professional league in world sports. I know of plane crashes in the past that have obliterated/handicapped teams in the past, but most of them that I know of are international competition type teams (ala Sabena 548 with the US figure skating team, and Cubana 455 with the Cuban fencing team). This is unique in that it is a professional, high caliber, league oriented team involved. How will the KHL recover. Will there be a dispersion draft to attempt to reconstitute the team? Will the league play with 23 teams, and give a wild-card spot to the Western Division for post-season purposes? If they go with the second option, what will they do with all of those games that were already scheduled with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl?

I'm not trying to be callous, but in the modern era, of big money and sponsorships, an entire professional team being wiped out is unheard of. I just wonder (other than what caused the crash, which I'm curious about also) how the KHL will deal with this.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Given the safety record of Russian aviation/aircraft, I'm left wondering why these teams don't charter western aircraft? I would never step foot on a Russian made plane.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:15 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I am sorry for the loss of lives.

I lived in Russia for 3 years and flew Russian airlines within Russia - I had no choice in order to get where I needed to go for work. The only time I have been terrified (or really had any anxiety whatsoever) while flying was flying on Russian aircraft. I am glad that I no longer have to fly Russian aircraft.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:28 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
This one hurts not only as a major hockey fan but also having seen many of the players play the game. My condolences to their families.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by goalie
This one hurts not only as a major hockey fan but also having seen many of the players play the game. My condolences to their families.
Yes, unfortunately, all Hockey players is being killed. It was so terrible tragic news for Russian hockey players didn't survived. Who is responsible for flying on Russian aircraft? Didn't they have a safety issue?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm so glad we get to rely on them for all of our space transport now....
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I'm so glad we get to rely on them for all of our space transport now....
Challenger, Columbia? Russians haven't had a fatality in space program since early 70s...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by azepine00
Challenger, Columbia? Russians haven't had a fatality in space program since early 70s...
That we know of...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Feeling the sadness too. As a DTW Wings fan/ticket holder, I got to meet Rusan Solei last year, and Brad McCrimmon years ago when I was in high school.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00
Thats not saying much considering the Russians don't have much of a space program.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i believe it now

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/02c4b...#axzz1XSgQlFlD

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/02c4b19a-d...#ixzz1XSgwfn9I

In 2010, Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States region saw an average of 7.15 accidents for every million flights compared with an average of 1.76 in 2009, according to the Air Transport Association. The global average was 2.56 in 2010 and 2.54 in 2009.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: United MP
It definitely hurts! I don't know what to say other than to offer them my condolences also.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Thats not saying much considering the Russians don't have much of a space program.
They do. 44 Soyuz launches since start of 1992, compared to 91 Shuttles in the same time.

The track record of Shuttle is 135 launches, 2 crashes. Soyuz has 110 launches, also 2 crashes.

But both Soyuz crashes were between the first 10 launches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.