Wiki Posts
Search

Scuffle occurs aboard plane in Spanish resort

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Scuffle occurs aboard plane in Spanish resort

MADRID — Spain's government says police removed more than 100 passengers from a plane preparing to leave the Canary Islands after a large scuffle broke out onboard.

La Provincia, a Spanish newspaper, said the disruption happened when low-cost Ryanair tried to charge one passenger extra for carry-on baggage and his friends aboard the plane "mutinied."

An Interior Ministry spokesman said the pilot was preparing for takeoff at Guacimeta airport on the Lanzarote island resort for Charleroi, Belgium, when she radioed for police assistance.

He said that, of the 168 passengers, only 64 were allowed to re-board Saturday's flight. The rest had to find other carriers and some spent the night on Lanzarote. He spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with ministry rules.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-w...plane-scuffle/
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:20 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I know I'll probably get flamed and sent to the sin-bin but imho, Ryan Air = WN for EU & the UK.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
I know I'll probably get flamed and sent to the sin-bin but imho, Ryan Air = WN for EU & the UK.
Actually, Easy Jet modeled itself on WN. IMHO Ryan Air is a step or two lower. I'll defer to our European FTers for the definitive ranking.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Fredd
Actually, Easy Jet modeled itself on WN. IMHO Ryan Air is a step or two lower. I'll defer to our European FTers for the definitive ranking.
Oh,, goodie, I'm not alone
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:39 pm

90% of Ryanair problems are caused by customers who don't think the rules apply to them or didn't read the rules in the first place.

The remaining 10% are caused by Ryanair's belief that passengers are cattle.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
90% of Ryanair problems are caused by customers who don't think the rules apply to them or didn't read the rules in the first place.

Reduce one category by 1% and give that percentage to drunk/inebriated pax and then you are back to WN
Old Feb 6, 2011, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)

It's a self-sustaining model, with each fueling the other.

I'd kill myself if I had to fly Ryanair with any degree of regularity (or indeed, at all).
Old Feb 6, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
WN are loads better than that!
Old Feb 6, 2011, 4:04 pm

Reduce one category by 1% and give that percentage to drunk/inebriated pax and then you are back to WN
But that's true of every airline - well except Aeroflot.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
the disruption happened when low-cost Ryanair tried to charge one passenger extra for carry-on baggage and his friends aboard the plane "mutinied."
There's a press release from FR here. I'm glad to see FR are trying to spin it to sound like the police made them take all the students off, rather than being a decision they made.

I'm not sure it was worth it for the cost of one bag (especially since some of the students are going to have to make their own way back ... which is trickier given that FR are the only ones who fly that route). Still, I'm probably more suprised that this doesn't happen more often .
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
No flaming from me! ^
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
90% of Ryanair problems are caused by customers who don't think the rules apply to them or didn't read the rules in the first place.The remaining 10% are caused by Ryanair's belief that passengers are cattle.
+1..
And at the price most pax buy the tickets, they should be more careful..
heck, even LH and OS make so many problems when flying intercontinental for excess baggage for non status pax
Old Feb 7, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: HH Gold & bunch of mainly useless other bits of plastic

+1 Although I think you underestimate MO'L's contempt for customers. Back in the early 2000's we used to use FR quite a lot, get in early & you could get v low fares. Seem to remember about £4.99 for a return STN-Barcelona (OK Girona, not actually BCN).

The gradual splitting of fares into charging for flight, baggage, check in etc etc and the attitude that has gone with it has put me off in recent years. Even though I only live about 10 miles from STN I will now avoid them if at all possible. I can read all the T&C's and comply with them, I just happen to think it's not really worth my time to fly with an airline that would rather take my money & not actually fly me anywhere if they could humanly get away with it. YMMV.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Not even close.

Originally Posted by Fredd
I have flown FR, WN, and U2. FR is at least 10 levels below the other 2.

Originally Posted by Cavman
I can read all the T&C's and comply with them, I just happen to think it's not really worth my time to fly with an airline that would rather take my money & not actually fly me anywhere if they could humanly get away with it. YMMV.
+1
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA, Emirates
Ryanair gives lesson to 'mutiny' students

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3360689

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.