Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safety Risks of Fast Turnarounds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Safety Risks of Fast Turnarounds

The latest in Patrick Smith's ASK THE PILOT column on Salon.com....

A report card for Air Asia. Plus, are speedy turnarounds unsafe?

An excerpt:

"....Dipping back into my story from the Thai islands...
http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_...and/index.html

Air Asia is a young, low-cost carrier headquartered in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. In less than 20 years the company has grown to become one of the biggest and most successful airlines in the region -- an equatorial Southwest of sorts, with a network now stretching to Europe and Iran. People certainly seem to like Air Asia, but my own experience, a round-trip between Bangkok and the tourist ghetto of Phuket, wasn't without its kinks.

Both flights were late, for starters, including a 60-minute delay on the outbound leg. And I was less than impressed with the Air Asia website, which at steps along the way attempts to trick the customer into purchasing add-ons he or she probably doesn't want: priority seating, insurance, etc. And when we tried to make an online reservation in Bangkok, the site would not accept any of our credit cards issued by U.S. banks, requiring a phone call to book the old-fashioned way. To encourage online booking, Air Asia adds a "dot-com" to its name pretty much everywhere -- in print, on the Web and in bright red paint on the flanks of its aircraft. It ought to have a friendlier interface.

As for the onboard experience, well, it was what it was: a no-frills, get-what-you-pay-for ride. The plane, an Airbus A320, was spotlessly clean, but there is something downmarket, even ugly, about the carrier's red and black interiors -- not to mention the advertisements splashed over the tray tables and overhead bins. Seat pitch is minimal, and there's a charge even for water or soft drinks. It's hard to complain when our tickets ran less than a hundred bucks each way, but 50 Thai baht for a can of Coke Zero seems a little unnecessary.

Flying out of Phuket we were delayed about 15 minutes due to our plane's tardy arrival. But it could have been worse save for a remarkably fast turnaround time. The inbound Airbus was relieved of its passengers and luggage, refueled and reboarded, and ready to push in what couldn't have been more than 20 minutes!

Rapid turnarounds are a point of pride at Air Asia, just as they are at Southwest and other LCCs, where super-high aircraft utilization rates are part of the game, but something about a 20-minute turn makes me uneasy. The logistics of a turn are perhaps more involved than people realize. From the minute a plane docks to the point where the brakes are released for push-back, a long series of tasks has to be accomplished.

For the ground staff, those tasks include the following:

* arriving passengers need to disembark with all of their carry-ons
* departing passengers and their carry-ons need to be boarded
* incoming luggage, mail and freight need to be offloaded
* outgoing luggage, mail and freight need to loaded
* the cabin needs to be cleaned and, if necessary, re-catered
* the aircraft needs to be fueled in accordance with outbound flight plan

The cockpit crew, meanwhile, has its own list of chores:

* complete the parking and shutdown checklists
* perform an exterior walk-around inspection
* receive and review updated weather for origin and destination
* load the outbound flight plan into the flight management system (FMS )
* receive and review the flight's air traffic control clearance
* review the departure profile
* review the expected taxi route
* receive weight-and-balance report and load the data into the FMS
* perform the pre-flight and before start checklists
* take a wizz

That's a lot of moving parts. There is paperwork to deal with as well, plus communicating and coordinating with company handlers, cabin crew and ATC, as needed. Actual tasks, and the order in which they're performed, will vary, but it's never anything less than what you see above. Usually it's more. And the list above presumes there is no crew change. For pilots, a crew swap means having to stow our bags, then set up and organize our gear (charts, maps, headset and so on). This alone can take several minutes.

For perspective, I begin my preparations for a long-haul flight a good 90 minutes prior to departure. Sure, an hour-long domestic hop is different, but it's not that different, and the basic responsibilities are the same. Trying to get everything done in 20 minutes is pushing it under conditions. I am not accusing Air Asia, or anybody else, of being reckless, but as anybody knows it's easy to make mistakes when you're in a hurry. One of the basic tenets of air safety is to keep things methodical and unrushed.

Airlines tend to hyperventilate when it comes to getting a plane off the gate as quickly as possible. I've never understood this. Scheduled flight times are usually padded, for one, and on-time performance is measured by arrival time not departure time.

Not that it didn't feel good getting the hell out of Phuket...."

FOR THE FULL ARTICLE, CLICK HERE:
http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_...sia/index.html

Entry to Salon.com is free.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
20 to 30 minute turns are very common. I've even had some around 10 minute mark.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sour grapes

Sounds like the author of this article has sour grapes. He seems quite bitter.

Firstly, I've flown Air Asia, and it's great. No problems at all. They charge $164 for their flight when Cathay, SQ, and Thai all wanted $500 for the exact same routing in economy. To save $346, you can afford to pay 50 Thai Bhat (which is $1.60) for a coke on the plane. Air asia's hot meals are $4.00. Compare that to UA's snack boxes for $8 or $9 in economy. It's a bargain.

Then he talks about how bad phuket is. Why would he even go there if he thought it were so bad? It's one thing if you go to some hellish place for a business trip and all you want to do is leave, but for vacation, if you though that place was tourist hell you should go somewhere else.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
20 to 30 minute turns are very common. I've even had some around 10 minute mark.
I concur. I have watched three Air Asia flights turn around at one gate in Penang in the same time it took for a single Silk Air flight to do the same

I do agree with some of the author's points that there is something downmarket about Air Asia. Maybe it's the US$10 o/w tickets from KUL to SIN, maybe it's the menu of add ons that turn that $10 fare into a $100 fare, but yes, it is a down market experience, but people seem to enjoy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.